BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a result of an accident I had a couple months ago, my right side crash bar was bent down. I finally had time to open it up today and found the rear end of it is screwed onto a tab on the big aluminum frame block (not sure what it's called). That tab was broken off. I've included pictures below.

The question is - what should I do?? That big piece looks like it basically holds the frame together. Is there a way to fix the tab? Is that big piece easily replaced?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
acs5166 said:
As a result of an accident I had a couple months ago, my right side crash bar was bent down. I finally had time to open it up today and found the rear end of it is screwed onto a tab on the big aluminum frame block (not sure what it's called). That tab was broken off. I've included pictures below.

The question is - what should I do?? That big piece looks like it basically holds the frame together. Is there a way to fix the tab? Is that big piece easily replaced?

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, this has been written about many times. If you search around you're going to find info on this. And most of it, is not good :( Search the site and you'll find it. Here's one example that will be helpful: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36832&highlight=broken+Frame

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
grifscoots said:
For liability reasons they total the bike. If you want to keep it, I'd just have it TIG'ed.
I being the 3rd owner of my bike, have a broken tab on the left side. Where can I take it to have it TIG,ed, and how strong will it be ??

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts