BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think this would happen especially to a BMW but the weld broke as I was putting the bike up on the center stand in my garage. It fell over on the right side. I did manage to get it back up and on the side stand. Now the question is do I get the stand re-welded or do I find a used one some where? What do you think? My LT is a 2002.

thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I'd pull it off and get it welded. A good weld is as strong as new, in my opinion, maybe even stronger. Have it beefed up and ride on.

Maybe search for a used on and compare the cost. The replacement might also be weak though and your welded will be fixed! Keep it lubed and maybe try to figure out why it broke.

On my 02, I rarely used the center stand. It had 50,000 miles was hardly ever stressed.

CHECK OUT BELOW for better answers: Similar Threads

·
Registered
476 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Had mine rewelded added some 45 degree plates to strengthen the legs.
I'm new to the K1200LT but not to metal fixes. I would do exactly this - get it re-welded (as said above by Dan - stronger than just metal alone) and if it was me I would also add some small metal gusset plates - the 45 degree plates mentioned by nogills2 - and weld those in too. To get it all to black color, Eastwood custom car supplies has a black paint made for use under cars that is super tough - if I recall correctly it's available in a spray can. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
DanDiver said:
Dick, that welded center-stand is so ugly it's pretty!
Ditto, Dano. I'm thinkin' I should strip the centerstand off ole Toad and send it to Floyd for some added muscle tone mod!! :D

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
You might give the dealer a call. BMW warrantied the center stand of my 85 K-RT in the late 90's after it broke.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone, thanks for the info and I will take your suggestions and get it re-welded and beefed up.

once again thanks for the assistance from this forum

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts