BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very near catastrophe today. I had just completed a bunch of preventive maint. tasks on the LT including weep hole. Got everything buttoned up and went for a test ride, everything worked great. Got home and backed into my space in the garage, put down the side stand and dismounted. Then I proceeded to put her up on the CENTER STAND and all hell broke loose. She tipped over to the right and leaned against the garage wall knocking the mirror off. WAH HOPPENED???? I pulled her back up and on to the side stand and then I saw the broken center stand. I never imagined that would happen, I was always worried about the side stand breaking. I feel so blessed that it happened the way it did. Had it happened on the lift table there would have been serious damage. Had it happened on the road, it could have been a disaster. I feel like I have a guardian angle watching over me.

Now what to do? I am back on the lift. Do I try to get it welded or do I replace it (center stand)? I am inclined to look on ebay and the bone yard for a replacement. BTW, there seems to be a fair amount of side play in the bearings, so maybe there is more that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions, as always, will be appreciated.

Anybody have a good suggestion on how to get the spring off (easily) ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I don't think it's all that common, but...I've read of enough center stands breaking that I keep an eye on mine. And if it should break, I'll just weld it up, probably adding just a little more meat to them bones.
I notice too that when I put my bike on the center stand that there's quite a bit of side to side motion, which really has to be putting stress on that piece.

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not a welder but it looks like an easy weld. It looks like you also need to replace or beef up the pads. The spring can be removed by stretching it using the stand, then inserting coins into the open coils. The tough part is removing the retaining bolt on the center stand. It is secured using red loctitie and won't easily give up. You may have to heat it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Phil, that link was real good info, the pot cooking on the gas burner looked great too :D

Bob, I had the same idea about the pads as I will have the thing off. I was thinking of adding 1/4 " to get the bike a little higher, but I wonder if that will make it more difficult to get it up on the center stand? What do Y-all think?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You can remove the spring by extending the leg and then placing washers in between the coils. Put the leg back up and you'll have enough slack to either remove the spring or get a good heavy piece of wire on it which you then run back to the back of the link bar, anchor it, and give it a twist with some pliers which will pull the spring out enough to slip it off. Just be careful in case the wire fails while you're pulling on it. Maybe someone else has a better way to do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Weird timing?
My `03 LT centerstand broke just last week!
But the cross member on mine stayed intact, the cantileverd arm peeled away upward, instead, just below that welded x-member joint.

After pricing a new one, I decided that I will be welding it myself with some additional gussets here and there.

Chris

edit: judging from the rust at the break, it looks like I could have avoided my 2nd drop ever, with an inspection!
I just noticed I am missing an exhaust heat shield screw in this photo too! :eek:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
with that crack I would replace with a used one and re-enforce it as in the post above. You could place an iron tube inside but that crack is a stress crack.
It looks like the cause may be from bottoming out while heavy leaning in turns...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave, I like the top & bottom gussets, thanks for the photos. (BTW, we used to live in Concord, know right where you are).

Dean, I used pennies, but I couldn't get the stand down far enough to open the coils up much. Still had to use vice grips to pull the spring off. Now to reinstall :( , I'll try your idea on the wire.

Chris, That break really looks nasty, hope you can repair it. Was there any damage done?

After looking at my center stand (photos below) it is really ground down . John (Motorman) if you are reading this, you must have been making lots of sparks :wave I have decided to replace the stand instead of welding it. I found one on Ebay and ordered it. I will then take it to a local machine shop and have them do the gusset thing. I don't have a welder. In my junk drawer, I found 2 zerk fittings left over from my tractor. I am going to drill & tap the stand while it is off and install the zerks to lube the pivots in the future. I got new "O" rings as well.

Thanks to all for all the input. To all the rest, if you read this, INSPECT YOUR CENTER STANDS, it could save you grief later :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boatzo said:
Chris, That break really looks nasty, hope you can repair it. Was there any damage done?

Thanks to all for all the input. To all the rest, if you read this, INSPECT YOUR CENTER STANDS, it could save you grief later :bmw:
I think it can be repaired and reinforced.
As for the drop, luckily there was no damage this time!

My first drop last year resulted in a cracked right side chromed plastic wing trim thingy and at $140 for a new one I decided it was to be called a character crack!

I have to believe the stresses resulting from getting it up on the center stand caused this more so than bottoming out on it, as I perched it on the center stand way more often than I bottomed out on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
with that crack I would replace with a used one and re-enforce it as in the post above. You could place an iron tube inside but that crack is a stress crack.
It looks like the cause may be from bottoming out while heavy leaning in turns...
SmokinJoe, I took your advise and bought a used eBay centerstand and then welded these small 1/4" thick gusset tabs in the questionable areas, just got it buttoned up today, and maybe now she'll quit smoking out the exhaust when I start it up!
Man, I really missed my center stand! :D

Oh, the easy way to get the spring off is to remove both cap screws, remove the circlip from the left side bushing, wriggle out the left bushing. The right side bushing will remain in, then tilt the stand to release the spring tension. Reverse and Repeat for easy installation.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks like yours broke right were mine did two years ago. Replacement was in the hundreds and welding was $40 I think.

Guess what I did LOL

Good Luck making your decision

Steve

Boatzo said:
I had a very near catastrophe today. I had just completed a bunch of preventive maint. tasks on the LT including weep hole. Got everything buttoned up and went for a test ride, everything worked great. Got home and backed into my space in the garage, put down the side stand and dismounted. Then I proceeded to put her up on the CENTER STAND and all hell broke loose. She tipped over to the right and leaned against the garage wall knocking the mirror off. WAH HOPPENED???? I pulled her back up and on to the side stand and then I saw the broken center stand. I never imagined that would happen, I was always worried about the side stand breaking. I feel so blessed that it happened the way it did. Had it happened on the lift table there would have been serious damage. Had it happened on the road, it could have been a disaster. I feel like I have a guardian angle watching over me.

Now what to do? I am back on the lift. Do I try to get it welded or do I replace it (center stand)? I am inclined to look on ebay and the bone yard for a replacement. BTW, there seems to be a fair amount of side play in the bearings, so maybe there is more that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions, as always, will be appreciated.

Anybody have a good suggestion on how to get the spring off (easily) ?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Interesting,........... I'm new to my 2005 K12, but I have quickly noticed that if the bars are turned hard left to lock the steering while the bike is on the centre stand, a distinct twisting action can be felt being transmitted down through it (the stand). In fact on a smooth concrete floor the stand will sometimes skip a little sideways. This torsional force will be loading up the welded joints I suspect. It could be a contributor to the failures.
I'd be interested to know if those experiencing failures have often locked the steering with the bike raised.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Dennis,

Your 2005 has the hydraulic center stand, new to that year and on to 2009. The ones in this thread are all pre 2005 and have the manual stand.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I read this post out of curiosity.
And if I did not see the pictures I would not have believed that stuff could actually happen. My bike is new with hydraulics and tomorrow I am going to peek under there just to compare with what I have learned tonight. A picture is worth a 1000 words and all have done a fine job with their repairs. Nothing for me to add except UNBELIEVABLE!
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
124 Posts
My bike tipped over today after putting her on the centre stand. I think I'll get it welded up and reinforeced too!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
saddleman said:
I still have a few pair of Laser cut reinforced parts for your year center stand. They cost me $16 a pair. You can have them for that plus shipping if you want.

+1, I bought a set from Dave and they are beautiful. I have not installed them yet but will shortly.

Robert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts