BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any threads on this, nor had my dealer heard of this happening before, but yesterday my center stand broke in two resulting in my bike laying on its side.

I believe the cause was from laying the bike down on the ice in Dec. 2011. The tube connecting the legs was cracked on the left side of the bike and yesterday morning when I put it up on the stand the two sides became separated.

(Note to self, bike won't stand on one leg.) Fortunately there was no one, and no other bike on the right and it just thunked to the ground. It did result in the demise of a driving light, which will be relocated when replaced. Should have been already as the left one was trashed in the previous left side incident.

Also noted that just lubing the center stand is not sufficient as there are o-rings on the pivots. I applied grease and new o-rings before mounting the new center stand.

So a word to the wise, if you drop the bike on its left side or have a left side excursion you may want to check to be sure that your stand is not damaged.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
There have been a few instances of a center stand breaking at the weld points...
Have your re-welded and you should be good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I joined the club a few days ago. :( Went down right side in our parking space. Good thing I had watched that YouTube video someone posted last year where the girl picks the bike back up! However, I did crack the tipwing cover and now have to go get some crazy glue. I assume the the plastic piece says BMW on it so it'll be expensive. Have to get both sides since mine is 1999 and have to deal with wear and fading. Still can't believe how easy it is to get it back up after a nap. Physics is a wonderful thing I guess. :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
2000klticon said:
So a word to the wise, if you drop the bike on its left side or have a left side excursion you may want to check to be sure that your stand is not damaged.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine went down on the left but I never thought to check the center stand. The J Peg and saddle bag chrome piece were the obvious impact points.

Greg

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The centerstand will rust from the inside out due to water getting inside the tubes. Mine broke during the 07 IBR while driving down the interstate
I also rewelded and added gussets..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I was thinking that gussets or other reinforcement would be a good idea. I'll put that on my not too short list :) I'll have the bike up on the lift soon and the only problem will be getting the modified part powder coated.

I can't believe how much easier it is to get on the stand now that it's properly lubricated. I never knew those o-rings were in there and had simply oiled it a few times. I'm thinking if I take it off to weld that I'll add grease zerks too.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
2000klticon said:
Thanks, I was thinking that gussets or other reinforcement would be a good idea. I'll put that on my not too short list :) I'll have the bike up on the lift soon and the only problem will be getting the modified part powder coated.

I can't believe how much easier it is to get on the stand now that it's properly lubricated. I never knew those o-rings were in there and had simply oiled it a few times. I'm thinking if I take it off to weld that I'll add grease zerks too.
If you add grease zerks you will need to remove or compromise one of the O-rings. If you don't the O-rings also prevent you from pumping in grease. Put zerks on my the first year since the stand would hardly move when I bought it. Now about every 3rd oil change a quick shot of grease and away I go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Phil,

I had the same thing happen on my 2002. The breaks were in the same place as yours and had obviously been developing for a while, as getting the bike onto the stand had become progressively harder. I only crawled underneath to look when I found one of the circlip retainers lying on the ground by the bike. Both the pivot bolts were bent and the O rings in tatters. Typical Teutonic over-design to have a pivot like this.

I had the stand re-welded and reinforced, as well as reducing the height 6mm (1/4"). Fantastic now with the effort required to get the bike onto the stand greatly reduced. I used grommet grease (silicone of some sort) that has not attacked the O rings.

The height at the back wheel whilst on the stand is still more than adequate to change the wheel.

Barry Law

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you ever watch the center stand (when deployed) as you turn the front wheel you'll notice quite a bit of twist. It's no wonder they break.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine broke a couple of years ago also but dont know why. It was WAY to expensive to replace so I had my local weld shop weld it up in place for $25. Still works!

Later

2000klticon said:
I haven't seen any threads on this, nor had my dealer heard of this happening before, but yesterday my center stand broke in two resulting in my bike laying on its side.

I believe the cause was from laying the bike down on the ice in Dec. 2011. The tube connecting the legs was cracked on the left side of the bike and yesterday morning when I put it up on the stand the two sides became separated.

(Note to self, bike won't stand on one leg.) Fortunately there was no one, and no other bike on the right and it just thunked to the ground. It did result in the demise of a driving light, which will be relocated when replaced. Should have been already as the left one was trashed in the previous left side incident.

Also noted that just lubing the center stand is not sufficient as there are o-rings on the pivots. I applied grease and new o-rings before mounting the new center stand.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
stevea2980 said:
Mine broke a couple of years ago also but dont know why. It was WAY to expensive to replace so I had my local weld shop weld it up in place for $25. Still works!

Later
WHY ?
See Post # 7 .

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Might check with the dealer. My '85 K100RT's center stand broke about 1995 - BMW gave me a new one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It broke on one of the welds at the horz and vertical connection points when I tried to put the bike on the center stand. The bike didnt like standing on just one center leg and promptly fell over "Ouch"

Later

Steve A

murray said:
WHY ?
See Post # 7 .

·
Registered
2 Posts
My center stand just broke last week. Horizontal tube sheared before the weld and over she went to the left, almost into a parked car. I had a tough time righting her, but with a small push from a kid she went to the side stand. The gussets are a great idea.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Xsubmariner said:
I joined the club a few days ago. :( Went down right side in our parking space. Good thing I had watched that YouTube video someone posted last year where the girl picks the bike back up! However, I did crack the tipwing cover and now have to go get some crazy glue. I assume the the plastic piece says BMW on it so it'll be expensive. Have to get both sides since mine is 1999 and have to deal with wear and fading. Still can't believe how easy it is to get it back up after a nap. Physics is a wonderful thing I guess. :)
Check EBay. They got used covers and carbon fiber ones

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys,

I posted a reply about 18 months ago about how I repaired my broken stand.

I have just finished repairing it for the second time - not happy!! Giving some thought to the reasons that this happens, I remembered that whilst riding two up last week, the bike bottomed quite heavily going across a speed hump where the stand, being the lowest part of the bike, took the big hit. In both repairs, the pivot bolts were bent showing that a fair force has been applied. I would consider that this was the cause, not rust from the inside.

I am looking at using more preload to increase the ride height to try and over come the problem.

Barry Law

1 - 20 of 20 Posts