BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I broke one of the linkages of the gear shifter. I finished the last 10 miles with only second gear. Back home I took the shifter cover out, took the shifter and the first shifter link off. I then went to Lowe's and bought a bold with a head close enough to the size of the linkage round head. I rounded the bold head with a file, cut the bolt at the right dimension and put everything back, greased it and Voila! Everything works perfectly. I tested it down-town for an hour and no problem at all. It cost me $2 for the bolt, the gas to go to Lowe's (5miles) and 1:20mn including the 40mns going to Lowe's and back. Here are the pic of the broken part, the bolt and the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am impressed, good job.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good job and thanx for the tip....................head of the class for the day.............. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
That idea's a keeper.

JD

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
How did you secure the bolt? were you able to re-use the small clip?
You would improve longevity by greasing the new bolt head and adding a piece of felt to keep the grease in and the dirt out, just as the stock setup was (before breaking:rolleyes:).
JM2VW

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zippy_gg said:
How did you secure the bolt? were you able to re-use the small clip?
You would improve longevity by greasing the new bolt head and adding a piece of felt to keep the grease in and the dirt out, just as the stock setup was (before breaking:rolleyes:).
JM2VW
Yes I was able to reuse the clip. I managed to make the bolt head pretty close in size and shape as the head of the ball joint so as the clip could still work perfectly. There was no felt or any grease retainer on the part that broke.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
Alpac said:
Yes I was able to reuse the clip. I managed to make the bolt head pretty close in size and shape as the head of the ball joint so as the clip could still work perfectly. There was no felt or any grease retainer on the part that broke.
No felt was why it broke. These will last forever (almost anyway) if they are properly maintained. The grease escaped and water got in and loosened the ball stud. The loose ball stud snapped. If they are tight you can stomp on them and they won't break. It is on my 12K schedule to check and re-lube as well as replace any broken felt seals.

I would get a replacement ball stud as soon as possible to minimize damage to the ball cup.
07119901736 BALL PIN0.02 3 $3.29

And the felt seal.
23417650149 BUSH 3 $1.20

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzeiler said:
No felt was why it broke. These will last forever (almost anyway) if they are properly maintained. The grease escaped and water got in and loosened the ball stud. The loose ball stud snapped. If they are tight you can stomp on them and they won't break. It is on my 12K schedule to check and re-lube as well as replace any broken felt seals.

I would get a replacement ball stud as soon as possible to minimize damage to the ball cup.
07119901736 BALL PIN0.02 3 $3.29

And the felt seal.
23417650149 BUSH 3 $1.20
Thanks. So probably this already broke and was replaced and the felt was not installed I guess. It has been like that since I bought the bike 3 1/2 years and 30k miles ago

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
Actually the felt will deteriorate over time and just fall off. I have replaced 5 of them over the course of 7 years and 70K miles. After installing the new ones it is a real challange to get the ball seated enough to get the lock pin in. But it really preserves the lube.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A year and a half and over 10,000 miles later my repair shift linkage still holds. I make sure it is kept greased properly but that is it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Cut new donuts from 1/4" thick engineers felt using wad punches. Cut a few spares as the originals are ( I think) some type of sponge material which degrades and falls apart over time. Soak some oil into the felts and they'll keep the crud out for years. Pack each ball joint with grease and there'll be no friction to cause the ball studs to come loose, as John Z correctly stated.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
JZ -- Is the p/n you provided for the felts per each, or for a set of three? I am going to get a couple sets, and need to know if I need to of the item or 6.

TIA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Want to see how to much my dealer charged charged me to change that part after riding all the way their in second gear.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
deputy5211 said:
JZ -- Is the p/n you provided for the felts per each, or for a set of three? I am going to get a couple sets, and need to know if I need to of the item or 6.

TIA
Tony,
The pads (PLASTIC BUSH) are sold as Qty 1, looks like the cost is now $1.24 ea now. The parts list on Max Bmw lists a qty of 3 in total, but you need 4 to replace them all, it appears they don't count the one closest to the transmission. I replaced mine last year and needed 4.

HTH

·
Registered
475 Posts
boxer259 said:
Want to see how to much my dealer charged charged me to change that part after riding all the way their in second gear.
YES! Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Tony,
The pads (PLASTIC BUSH) are sold as Qty 1, looks like the cost is now $1.24 ea now. The parts list on Max Bmw lists a qty of 3 in total, but you need 4 to replace them all, it appears they don't count the one closest to the transmission. I replaced mine last year and needed 4.

HTH
John is correct. I thought the 4th on was on the transmission diagram as it goes on the ball stud, but it is not there. 4 are needed. Hey a $0.04 increase over two years is not too bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts