BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc.

I'm out of warranty, so to get it replaced will cost me $150, despite it was their updater that bricked my Nav IV. I'm going to beg them to reduce that price, since it was their fault. Anyone have such luck with Garmin, who is notorious for not being very good about customer service?

Or should I talk to BMW?

Apparently bricking during updating is relatively common. I should have read up and determined if people were having problems.

Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
find the Garmin owner's site.

shud be a way to clear all memory?!

Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BecketMa said:
find the Garmin owner's site.

shud be a way to clear all memory?!

Bob
Nope. They have a Master Reset, but it doesn't clear al the cruft.

But they're fixing it. It's a good thing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
LeftCoastMan said:
Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc.

I'm out of warranty, so to get it replaced will cost me $150, despite it was their updater that bricked my Nav IV. I'm going to beg them to reduce that price, since it was their fault. Anyone have such luck with Garmin, who is notorious for not being very good about customer service?

Or should I talk to BMW?

Apparently bricking during updating is relatively common. I should have read up and determined if people were having problems.

Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.
I hope I can help you.
STOP EVERYTHING. Do you have a SD card in the IV? If so take it out and then restart it. It is not bricked! The update went to the SD card and the processor gets confused. I completely reinstalled the failsafe with Garmin's guidance with no luck. They gave me a special deal of $75.00 but before I sent it off I tried it with the SD card removed and it powered up and worked just fine.
ONLY PERFORM UPDATES WITH THE SD CARD REMOVED! I have done 2 additional updates with no more issues.
Apparently Garmin is not aware of this issue. Let me know if it works. :confused:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SmokinJoe said:
I hope I can help you.
STOP EVERYTHING. Do you have a SD card in the IV? If so take it out and then restart it. It is not bricked! The update went to the SD card and the processor gets confused. I completely reinstalled the failsafe with Garmin's guidance with no luck. They gave me a special deal of $75.00 but before I sent it off I tried it with the SD card removed and it powered up and worked just fine.
ONLY PERFORM UPDATES WITH THE SD CARD REMOVED! I have done 2 additional updates with no more issues.
Apparently Garmin is not aware of this issue. Let me know if it works. :confused:
No, I wish it were that easy. I didn't have an SD card, and it was totally bricked. They walked me through a diagnostic method that didn't work, which told them that it was wrong.

My customer service guy was really nice, took his time with me, and agreed it was a problem on their end. They're sending me a replacement.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LeftCoastMan said:
Well, I was attempting to update my Nav IV with new maps. Something went wrong, and I couldn't get view the maps. So, I did a reinstall of the maps. Now whatever I did there, bricked the POS Garmin junk garbage. etc. etc...Once again, this doesn't happen to my devices from Apple. And I beta test all their software, and rarely even then do I have major problem.
:confused: What does Apple products have to do with a Garmin product, which last time I looked is not part of Microsoft, who is usually the villain when people start talking up their Apples. :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a pretty good guess, but does your term "brick" mean that the device froze/locked up? :confused:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
LeftCoastMan said:
No, I wish it were that easy. I didn't have an SD card, and it was totally bricked. They walked me through a diagnostic method that didn't work, which told them that it was wrong.

My customer service guy was really nice, took his time with me, and agreed it was a problem on their end. They're sending me a replacement.
Sounds like Garmin Customer Service is pretty good, and that's been my experience over the years! So, are you going to take back all those nasty things your said in your original post?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Now you know why Garmin lifetime updates aren't worth much. Way too much time and trouble with the added fun of possibly disabling the unit.

Its easier to buy a new one every few years and sell the old one if they are actually still building new roads where you live (pretty much doesn't happen in the east any more given the state of the economy. Our local roads have developed jams due to pre crash building and a relief bypass planned long before the boom won't be ready for another 2 years, But I'm retired and don't commute so it doesn't hit me. Poetic justice is that its at its worst when tourists are all heading for the beach on Fri when 2-4 hr jams are possible in one particular spot)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lynn_Keen said:
Sounds like Garmin Customer Service is pretty good, and that's been my experience over the years! So, are you going to take back all those nasty things your said in your original post?
Well, it took me about 45 minutes to actually speak to someone, which isn't good. But the people they hire are here in the USA, they're really smart about their devices, and their job does not appear to be "it's all your fault, so go screw yourself." They're kind of a breath of fresh air.

And someone suggested that I call at precisely 0800 CST to get your call answered quickly. Of course, I'm dead asleep then, since it's 0600 here in Los Angeles. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bikerj said:
:confused: What does Apple products have to do with a Garmin product, which last time I looked is not part of Microsoft, who is usually the villain when people start talking up their Apples. :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a pretty good guess, but does your term "brick" mean that the device froze/locked up? :confused:
My point was that I've never bricked an iPhone or iPad, and they're more complicated devices than a Garmin.

Nevertheless, yeah, the official definition of bricking an electronic device is that it's "now as useful as a brick." The Nav IV turned on, but it would keep cycling through "Loading Maps." The Garmin dude said that if there's some sort of corruption in the maps while uploading it to the device, it can brick the device.

I'm going to just wait next time for the update to get updated. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
racer7 said:
Now you know why Garmin lifetime updates aren't worth much. Way too much time and trouble with the added fun of possibly disabling the unit.

Its easier to buy a new one every few years and sell the old one if they are actually still building new roads where you live (pretty much doesn't happen in the east any more given the state of the economy. Our local roads have developed jams due to pre crash building and a relief bypass planned long before the boom won't be ready for another 2 years, But I'm retired and don't commute so it doesn't hit me. Poetic justice is that its at its worst when tourists are all heading for the beach on Fri when 2-4 hr jams are possible in one particular spot)
Since I'm getting a new unit, not refurbished, I'm not sure if I'm going to install it on my bike. I may just sell it, get me an iPad mini and call it a day. I really hate Garmin Base Camp. And Garmin Express.

I might have to agree with you on these points.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LeftCoastMan said:
Since I'm getting a new unit, not refurbished, I'm not sure if I'm going to install it on my bike. I may just sell it, get me an iPad mini and call it a day. I really hate Garmin Base Camp. And Garmin Express....
Well, let me know if you decide to sell it and how much you want. :wave

BTW, I came across your post re: this same problem under a different subforum- I think the RT? subforum. I think you mentioned using an apple app there for navigation, or was it just for trip planning? Perhaps this is the reference for your above comment re: apple products? Regardless, I was wondering if you have used this app while riding, and if so, did you experience the device heating up and causing problems/shutting down like others have experienced with smart phones? :confused:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm almost definitely going to get rid of my Nav IV and try another direction with navigation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts