BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I haven't been on in a while, but last weekend, July 13th, 2008 my son died on his Harley Davidson. He was 22 years old. He was a wonderful young man, very loving and generous. He died because he gave his helmet to a girl he just met and saved her life, but lost his. Here is the article that was written in the Waterbury Republican American in Waterbury, CT

Cyndie Phillips

Torrington man killed in New Hartford motorcycle crash

BY JIM MOORE | REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN
TORRINGTON — Family and friends gathered Sunday to share comfort and memories, and to begin to understand the sudden loss of Brian T. Phillips, 22, who died in a motorcycle crash on Route 219 in New Hartford shortly after midnight.

They recalled Phillips as generous, the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back. He was devoted to his family, a quick study who entered college at age 17, and a jokester who made friends easily. A Wamogo Regional High School graduate, Phillips had followed in his father's footsteps to become a mechanic who specialized in heavy equipment including cranes. An employee of Shawmut Equipment Co. of Manchester, Phillips loved motorcycles, firearms, and the outdoors.

"All those people out there are like his family," said Desirae Saro, 26, Phillips' sister, indicating a lawn full of friends gathered Sunday afternoon at the family's 167 Moore Drive home.

"He was a man's man," said Curran Ortowski, one of Phillips' many friends.

"Everybody he met was instantly his friend," said Kate Sedgwick. "This is hard for a lot of people."

State police said Sunday that no cause for the crash could be ruled in or out pending an autopsy report and mechanical inspection of Phillips' 2002 Harley Davidson, which was heavily damaged in the crash at 12:28 a.m. just south of Hoppen Road.

South End Volunteer Fire Dept. Chief John Shaw said Phillips was headed south on Route 219 when his bike veered off the right shoulder. There was a slight curve in the road, Shaw said, but no indication why the accident occurred.

Phillips was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said he was not wearing a helmet.

"They said alcohol was not a factor," said Cynthia Phillips, Brian Phillips' mother, who sat at the kitchen table with a book of photographs in her hands and tears in her eyes as her husband, David Phillips, moved quietly around the house.

His sisters, who had talked to friends through the day, said Phillips left a small gathering in New Hartford about two hours before the crash, taking Amanda Boulet, 20, whom he had just met, for a motorcycle ride.

Boulet, who was wearing a helmet, according to police, was taken to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital in Torrington for treatment of injuries not believed to be life-threatening. Hospital officials had no record of Boulet being admitted or transferred Sunday. A message left on a phone listed under Boulet's Manchester address was not returned.

Phillips will be buried Thursday in Fishs Eddy, N.Y., a rural community in the Catskill Mountains. Calling hours will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Phalen Funeral Home on Migeon Avenue. A funeral service will follow Wednesday at 10 or 11 a.m., one detail that had not been decided Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Having a couple of kids in their 20's myself I can only imagine. I wish the best for you and yours now and in the future.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mr. and Mrs. Phillips my prayers go out to you and your family as you mourn the loss of your precious son. My boyfriend and I had our first wreck 4 weeks ago on his Harley - very similar to your son's accident - we rounded a curve and went off road. We were lucky and both walked away and were both wearing helmets. However, as we prepared to start on our journey that morning I did not have mine on and my boyfriend refused to leave until it was secure and on my head. I had a rather bad attitude until about 2 hours later when the wreck occurred. I shall never ride again without one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts