BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a boy. I think. ;)

Started life as a 49cc '69 Honda Mini Trail (with a top speed of 20mph when new) that was pretty well toasted, but had all the parts. The only thing I did NOT do was sandblast the frame.

Nomenclature: BMW R11/1 Vergasser. Why did I name it this way? Good question, but it pretty much follows BMW's logic for naming bikes since the early 1920's: THERE IS NONE.

I guess the R11 stands for "110" and Vergasser is German for carburetor - I think - and is usually spelled Vergaser. I liked the double S's. Kinda like Kompressor. Anyway it's MY bike and I'll name it whatever I want!

Specs:

Lifan 110cc 4 speed, intake match ported and polished, right side carb mount allows the intake, carb and air filter to be completely concealed UNDER the tank without protruding and taking up leg space or being subject to crashes - no other mods, YET... estimated horsepower on a really good day: 7.5

17 tooth counter sprocket, DID gold chain to handle the ferocious torque.

Michelin DOT certified street tires. FERODO brakes properly bedded in. Stops on a freakin' dime – really.

12 Volt upgrade with 5ah Interstate AGM Battery. H4 bi-Xenon headlight which is incredibly bright, turn signals, speedometer, yada yada - all the stuff needed to make it street legal.

Adjustable shock/sprung driver seat for fat asses like me. Made with Alcantara brand perforated cover, breathable mesh underlayment, multiple density visco elastic foam. Don't know the brand name of the seat manufacturer. :D

Modifed Chaly fenders.

All the wiring is stuck inside the CNC machined aluminum "box" that supports the front of the seat and about 70% of the rider's weight. It is a true rat's nest in there.

Carbon fiber license plate bracket with streamlined attachment bolts to make it go faster.

Windshield.

All new bearings, seals, wheel bolts, etc. Quite a bit of hex head chrome fasteners purchased at truly ridiculous prices at ACE Hardware. Note to self: buy ACE stock.

OTHER: Ummm, let's see - probably about two hundred other custom mods to make it all work. Lots of cutting, drilling, grinding, tapping and "tweaking". I lost track over the last 4 months...

Top speed, GPS indicated: 47mph. Not bad. The speedo is already BROKEN! Kind of a merit badge I guess...

Riding impressions: Like you are sitting on a sport bike leaned forward into the wind, but there is absolutely NOTHING in front or underneath that you can see. BIZARRE. FUN. SCARES THE C*** OUT OF ME.

If you can imagine riding an invisible motorcycle you get the idea. Tracks perfectly in a straight line - I have not worked up the courage yet to try any high speed sweepers. God help me if I ever hit a pot hole.

Future mods: 28 tooth rear sprocket to TRY to get to 60mph once it is fully broken in, but I kinda doubt it. There's only so much you can do to push 215 lbs. and a 48 inch chest into the wind on 8 inch wheels.

What am I going to do with it? Ride it around for a while, show it, and then put it up for auction late this spring to benefit a local battered women's and children shelter.

Why did I create it?

… it is just WRONG. :yeah:

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
too cool..

Nice job Ron!

And you finally painted the headlight to match !

I gotta stop by and see that puppy ! :bike:

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
The pinstriping on the tank was a nice touch. A nod to the past?

I was about to ask if you were going to complete the rebuild with a custom seat, but then I remembered ... oh yeah... duh.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hschisler said:
The pinstriping on the tank was a nice touch. A nod to the past?

I was about to ask if you were going to complete the rebuild with a custom seat, but then I remembered ... oh yeah... duh.
Thanks Howard!

I've been told that BMW actually DID build ONE scooter - but gave it up since the Italians pretty much figured it out. Vespa is alive and well and kickin' butt. I guess this is kind of a nod to that "homage" ... ;) :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Ron, you brightened up my Sunday Morning! That was fun reading, and I admire the tenacity you had to complete that rebuild with such quality work. Who else would ever think of doing that?

High Five my man!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Beyond cool, Ron, but you need to add some on board cameras to get other biker's reactions as you're terrorizing the streets on that thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The picture of the LT and the "R11" make nice bookends for two-wheeled roadsters: from simple to sublime

Great job and very entertaining :D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dshealey said:
Ron, you brightened up my Sunday Morning! That was fun reading, and I admire the tenacity you had to complete that rebuild with such quality work. Who else would ever think of doing that?

High Five my man!
Thanks David!

It all started when I realized a BMW tank badge would fit perfectly in the indentation where the old Honda badges were.

One thing led to another, then I just thought - "awww, what the heck" ;)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Ron, that's your best effort to date . . . BY A MILE! AWESOME JOB MAN!!! And I mean it! I love it!!!

RonKMiller said:
I've been told that BMW actually DID build ONE scooter - but gave it up since the Italians pretty much figured it out. Vespa is alive and well and kickin' butt. I guess this is kind of a nod to that "homage" ... ;) :D
Umm...BMW makes a pretty cool scooter now-a-days. You just have to know where to look to find it. ;)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts