BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I just got a new LT, snow on ground, did charge up my CLC Sat. (-20 in the morning). Did get to take my winter bikes out (snowmobles) last weekend. Waiting to ride my new bike.

With the CLC I burned oil and found at about 12K it was broke in (feeled that way) have not use oil since. What the story on the LT. book say <4K RPT first 600. doesn't say anything about the oil (does it burn much??)

I'm asking now as once it get warm, I'm on bike, not computer. So, trying to learn as I wait.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I change my oil every 3,500 to 4,000 miles. I've found it does burn some oil in that time. It is really a minimal amount.

I have had to add a little oil between changes, so it is worth keeping an eye on, but it has never been so low that I felt there was risk of damaging the engine at all.

BTW, I have an '03.

Keith

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Don't baby that motor.
I bought mine with 1300 miles on it so I didn't get a chance to break it in proper early on. The guy I bought from owned it for 2 years and must have babied that motor, cuz it would smoke a lot on start up. I had a K100 prior to the LT I bought and it didn't smoke at all even after being on the kick stand. Twist that throttle even if you only take it to 4000 rpm, you need to seat the rings. I think the worst thing you can do is accelerate slowly to 4K RPM and cruise. Vary the rpm back off and slow down and bring her up smartly. The was a link to a site about engine break-in someone may remember.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
smoking on the side

My 03 CLC Was broke in very easy just like the dealer told me to. It would smoke on startup on a regular basis. Learned of the advice mentioned above and My 04 CL was broken in much more aggressively. i don't recall it ever smoking on startup. The twin plug setup may have helped, and if it had had a center stand I would most likely still have it. My ride from the dealer was on I 90 for almost 140 mi. most of the ride was in the 3-5K range with bursts to close to red line. Followed the same style for the LT. Picked it up with 12 mi. on it. rode it home in second and third gear at higher RPM's with short bursts close to red line.

She has never em bare ised me by putting out a cloud of smoke, like my neighbors 03 CLC still does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard braking-in looks like it would be more fun. On the '04 CLC I haven't had it smoke, maybe its the 2 plugs. I'm assuming that removing the oil is easy like the CLC, how about the filter. Do I have to take the bike apart. Putting in the oil looks like fun too.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Have Fun !

Stay away from the super slab, find loads of hills and twisties, with bursts of acceleration, deceleration, really use up those gears, don't baby a new engine. It's all about seating those rings, but do respect that 4000 initial limit. Don't sit on a constant RPM. Bet you won't stop smiling
PS I did my first engine oil and filter change at 120 km, my second at 600 Km and the dealer did one at 1000 Km My drain pan is SS and I was amazed at how much fine powder like metal came out at the first change. Apparent due to the location in full sun.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yup.. BREAK it in...

I drove mine to deserted back roads...about a 20 mile leg...Once there, kept within the ranges specified of course =) and in each gear rolled up to the RPM's allowed in 1/4 throttle increments... 1/4 throttle, then down. 1/2 throttle, Accelerate, Decelerate, 3/4 throttle, Accelerate, Decelerate... for a tank of fuel... usually not getting into 4th gear...

I changed about 1/2 way through the "exercise" to do more leisurely riding and practice braking. Then stopped for a cold drink...then back at it...

It was very monotonous... and there were times I would ease along in each gear for a few seconds, then roll off the power and doing engine braking and down shifting, then back through the gears.

All the while keeping my eye on tach, road, speed.

Somehow during that process I managed to get some oil out of the overflow tube.. dealer says probably overfilled... no problems since.

The throttle inputs were smooth, never "hammering".... JUST RIDE IT....

This bike rocks.. burns oil only if left on sidestand for a while immediately after riding.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Burning oil.

I change the oil by the book and through the dealer. Never had to add any oil and she is a 99 with about 32k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys,

I purchased an 08 LT in January. I have'nt had a lot of time to put miles on the bike. I plan on riding to Utah (ALL FREEWAY) at the end of April. Before the trip I hope to have at least 1,300 miles on the odometer. Would you consider the listed miles an adequate break-in before making the 500 mile trip?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Most of the break in happens way before 1300 miles, (~80%) will happen in the first 100 miles. The last 20% in the next 1000 or so. So by 1300 miles, you'll be fine on your trip. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Broke mine in per the above instructions, and at 7000 miles I've not burned any measureable amount of oil. I also hardly ever put her on the side stand.

·
Registered
783 Posts
There was another thread that talked about a break-in procedure, basically oscillating between higher and lower RPMs. I thought it was on BMWLT, but maybe not. I think I have it printed out at home. If I can find where it is, I'll post a link.

Anyway, welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll have a good time with the LT. Like you, I had a Harley, and decided I wanted something different. The GT is a big change, and a lot more fun for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts