·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really a correct way to break in a new set of tires

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I put a new pair of Metz tires on the beemer they're too slick to ride safely ( for me ), so I take 40 grit emory cloth and rough them before mounting. Takes about 1 minute per tier and you're not so puckered for those 1st 50 or so miles while the tires are road abraded.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
Gravel roads are good, but I usually just take it easy for the first 50 miles and gradually weave until they are scuffed in. It does not take very long just stay off the hard throttle until then or you will have a wild ride.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Gravel roads are good, but I usually just take it easy for the first 50 miles and gradually weave until they are scuffed in. It does not take very long just stay off the hard throttle until then or you will have a wild ride.
+1

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
There was a thread yesterday that says the current thinking is to heat the tires to about 165 degrees for 30 minutes through straight line acceleration or breaking. I couldn't find the thread, but others may recall it. :bmw:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not so much " break in" as " clean off". Typically there is residue of the tire mold release agent still on the tires when sold. The above suggestions are good ones. I use a scotchbrite pad myself. The real danger is wet conditions. I picked up a bike with new skins and got caught in a down pour on my way home. When I finally made it home there was a hole in the seat with cheek marks! Ride like you have a gold fish in the box for 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Find an abrasive, concrete parking lot and make slow tight turns, increasing lean angle as the tires progressively get cleaned off.
Don't go too crazy as you're not really trying to do donuts. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks for all the suggestion, I just rode it 250 mile on Texas asphalt on a day when the temps were in the 90'S Did some curves and leans, I think they are good to go for the moa in st paul next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts