BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My brakes on my 2002 make a eeeeee sound when I apple the brakes even at a stand still. If I go 30 mph and hit them hard it will stop for a little bit but come back . Just had the abs pump replaced but it did it before I had it replace to. I also have some for fog lighst I want to put on. I would like to know where I can tie into so it does not dim the lights but comes on with the ignition. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Easy place to pick up 12V would be the headlight bucket. Use the wire to trigger a relay wired to the battery through a fuse. If you haven't already done so this would be a perfect time to upgrade to HID.

Loren

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
The eeee you hear is the power brake servos running - normal operation. Next time before you start the engine turn on the key and hit the brakes after they complete the self test (fast flashing to slow flashing on the warning light). See if the eeee you hear is the same thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the spelling . Did not hit spell check. Are you saying that I find a wire that goes to the headlight splice into it put a fuse in it, then go to the fog lights. I will put in Hid in both of them. I turned the key over after abs went through its cycle and yes it did sequel but after I started it you could hardly hear it. It still makes that noise when I drive but if that is normal I will ignore it. My 2000 makes no noise.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Mikerrrr said:
. My 2000 makes no noise.
That is correct the 2000 system is not power assisted. The only time it will make noise is on self test and when the ABS is activated.

He meant that you should use a wire attached to the white/yellow headlight wire to control a relay. Then run a fused lead from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the added lights. That way you are using the head light to control the relay turning on the added lights.

Here is a diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
JZ is perzactly correct. This is the safest way to control the lights. Easy on the existing wiring which, some say, is not overly robust.

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
While John Z is absolutely correct, I opted for a different method.

I installed an auxiliary fuse panel that is powered from the battery through a power relay which senses current on seat heater circuit. This way the aux panel is only energized when the ignition is turned on and is also controlled by the load shed relay. ALL of my farkles are powered through the aux panel, and all of the fuses are in one, easy to reach, place.

It may take a bit more to do it this way, but once it is in, additional items are a snap. I also suggest running an extra couple of runs of conductor up to under the nose cone from the aux panel. This way, when you install the next powered accessory on/in the front of the bike you will not have to open her up to neatly and systematically run another set of wires.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Tony is also correct. If you are planning to add numerous accessories. This is a very clean solution for adding multiple accessories controlled by one relay and protected by one or several fuses. The headlight wire triggering a relay to control aux lighting is a valid and simpler solution for aux lighting only and it is affected by the load shed relay.

Lots of accessories planned? Tonys' solution is a better way to go.
Wanna keep it simple? Find that headlight wire!

Loren

deputy5211 said:
While John Z is absolutely correct, I opted for a different method.

I installed an auxiliary fuse panel that is powered from the battery through a power relay which senses current on seat heater circuit. This way the aux panel is only energized when the ignition is turned on and is also controlled by the load shed relay. ALL of my farkles are powered through the aux panel, and all of the fuses are in one, easy to reach, place.

It may take a bit more to do it this way, but once it is in, additional items are a snap. I also suggest running an extra couple of runs of conductor up to under the nose cone from the aux panel. This way, when you install the next powered accessory on/in the front of the bike you will not have to open her up to neatly and systematically run another set of wires.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
+1 and +1 :) That is what I did as well but the relay is the simplest way to add just one accessory. Eventually you will have many more to add so it is not a bad ideal to prepare for it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts