BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the coarse of the last few months (I know :( ) I've been noticing a build up of gunk at the front left caliper. I assumed it was the fork oil as the seat is not fully "seated" But, after a while the oil is low enough as it should not be a real issue. Traced the leak again today, no oil "gunk" north of the caliper, but in and around the entire caliper area. Liberal use of brake cleaner on the out side reveled gobs of gunk on the inside. No known leak as the resivoir level has not moved. Compared the two brake shoes and the offending pads are near new, while the other side is 1/2 gone. I can assume the following.

A. I have a leak in the spicular line.
B. I have loose connections.
C. Worn, leaking caliper seals.

Knowing what assume REALLY means. Any thoughts? Is there a rebuild kit for the calipers. Anyone have the same issue. Searched and found a few of like issues, but no solves. THE HOW has nothing as well....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Brake!!!!!........................................ ............

Looks like a caliper R&R... With the way you travel, having only one side doing the Flintstone would have me worried... You might be better finding a usable replacement, do the R&R with it and have your orig rebuilt. Or just toss it... Use it as a door stop... paperweight... ash tray... boat anchor... in-home gym addition... something...

my $0.02... and dammit, I expect change... :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts

There is an $80.00 repair kit available but you may be better off with a used caliper.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

jzeiler said:
There is an $80.00 repair kit available but you may be better off with a used caliper.
Do tell? Where would one source a kit? what does a "kit consist of? I will hold off until I clean it up and take off the pots. Maybe its just a stuck/rusty pot that can be salvaged... Who knows...I'll reply with pictures. :D

UncleMark said:
my $0.02... and dammit, I expect change... :)
No refunds, credits or exchanges. Sorry UM, you still have to shop in the kiddie section!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts

Looks like pistons and seals - listed in the BMW parts list on the MAX BMW web site catalog.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

jzeiler said:
Looks like pistons and seals - listed in the BMW parts list on the MAX BMW web site catalog.
Nice, haven't used there site for parts...Thanks for lookin out!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

More implants for Barbara? At least she keeps you from getting bored... Or ignoring her!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, glad to say that the R&R of the front caliper is done. Four days of hard bare back riding and not a spec of the grime on the front forks. I ended up disassembling the caliper and removing the pistons as well as the seals. They did not look bad, but one side of the calipers (I broke it down, took the halves apart) pistons were really hard to remove and re-assemble. no wear, but definitely different from the other side. Used 600 grit wet/dry and they are still snug but do move. So...either it was the pistons or a loose connection somewhere. All I know is I did it on the cheap and more importantly I did it myself (with a little moral support)

Thanks to all. Hopefully one day the round(s) will be on me! (UM and Hallzee excluded!)
:dance:

·
Registered
989 Posts

shoswell said:
Well, glad to say that the R&R of the front caliper is done. Four days of hard bare back riding and not a spec of the grime on the front forks. I ended up disassembling the caliper and removing the pistons as well as the seals. ...
Did you change the seals or just sand the pistons?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

rdwalker said:
Did you change the seals or just sand the pistons?
Seals looked good, did notice a strand or two (between the four pots) of rubber shavings. I assume from the installation. There are two seals in each pot (piston). The lower is more of a pressure seal (double the width of the upper) while the upper is for dust/debris. I assume that the rubber strands are from the upper as it can pinch a bit on re-installation because it is hard to get the pot lined up exactly straight in the beginning.

I just ever so lightly sanded the pots to clean them up...She is still gunk less at this point, so I'm still happy! :D

Build up on the end of the pot...

a few more views

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

El problemo is back..... had some other "maintenance" to do and noticed a little grime had stuck itself to the top brake line connection. Where the (spiegler) brake hose and the hard line meet). cleaned it off and and will keep an eye on it while I source a new one. or send it back and wait for a replacement....Not sure, but I hate not riding the old girl!

·
Registered
860 Posts

Spiegler was sending milled aluminum T's out that were far from perfect. You aren't looking at that T connector junction are you? If you are, you may have a failed POS T that will need to be replaced. Spiegler has already admitted they had a SNAFU on some of their milled parts as of late.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

UncleMark said:
Spiegler was sending milled aluminum T's out that were far from perfect. You aren't looking at that T connector junction are you? If you are, you may have a failed POS T that will need to be replaced. Spiegler has already admitted they had a SNAFU on some of their milled parts as of late.
God I love you man! :D But true to form your a little off center! The issue is on the other side or the fork!

Thanks for asking though!!!

Hey, BTW whats going on in May?

·
Registered
67 Posts

Had a black gooey mess last summer too. It was a decomposing brake line. It also caused one caliper not to retract and hence the right set of pads were way more worn then the other set. Replaced the lines with Spieglers and bled the whole system. Can't say enough about changing out the brake lines after 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Appears that I moved the pictures..

·
Registered
41 Posts

are you sure its not oil dripping down off the steering dampner?
You said in op brake fluid level was not going down would lead me to suspect dampner leak.
Slade2

·
Registered
13 Posts

Can someone tell me what the two strips of paper included in the rebuild kit are for?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts

SFLAGregg said:
Can someone tell me what the two strips of paper included in the rebuild kit are for?
Not mentioned in the factory manual. May just be packing material.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts