BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There appears to be a leak somewhere around the brake system modulator on my 2003 LT and seemingly suddenly my brake fluid reservoir is needing replenished. It appears the leak is in the area of the pump motors so I checked all the available information and it seems that this part is not serviceable (at least not in the field) and it is necessary to buy an EXPENSIVE replacement.
I know others here have had similar problems and felt the BMW sting of replacement but I was wondering if anyone here had actually taken it apart to see if there are replaceable parts in it and knowing this talented group I thought there might have been some documentation of that evolution so if anyone has any informtion or experience with this component please share that with me, I appreciate any help that is available.
Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Yup and good luck. I am at work and don't have the pictures here but will post them this evening. You can decide from them if you want to tackle it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Here are some shots I think they came from a unit from an RS and were taken by Mark Neblett

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John!
I wonder, was he succesful in getting parts (appears to be O-rings and O ring stock) to reseal it I am not worried at all about taking it apart, naturally it would be helpful if there were some instructions covering it somewhere but if not I will disassembel it without them. My worst worry is that there is some special seal or gasket that is not available anywhere, lord knows BMW would never hand one over so it is something of a crap shoot.
I will keep looking for now and maybe a used one will show up that I can get and disassemble to check for the gaskets.
Thanks so much for the photo's they do give a bit of insight into what might be needed.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
No it was just dissasembled for curiousity. No attempt to repair. You can always buy cord stock and make your own seals. I was going to do that for the center stand actuator pump housing but I couldn't find any 0.030" stock locally. I just re-used the damaged form fit o-ring and added a bit of RTV.

There are no parts available since BMW's maintenance plan made this a make and toss part.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Just like the ABS II unit. :(

·
Cat Herder
1,441 Posts
Sooooooo!!! where can i get a used ABS Power Assist Modulator for my '02 LT???
Anything from '02 - '04 will work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts