BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a problem with bleeding my front brake system on my bike. I did it the olf way but my bike has a ABS. I opened the bleed valve on the right front galiper and opened the reservoir cap on my rh handle bar. I pump my brake handle couple of time then I added new brake fluid in the réservoir but now even If I pump my brake lever, tgd fluid doesn't go in the system. I tried to run the bleeding function on my motoscan app but it doesn't work. Please help...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
check some youtube videos on technique. When you open the bleed nipple you have to be squeezing the lever at the same time to force out fluid. You can not release the lever before you close the bleed nipple. It will suck in air if you do. You are on top to keep an eye on fluid leve. cover your bike to protect from splashes. Buy a syringe from the local farm supply to remove most of the old fluid from the reservoir before you add new fluid at the start. It does little good to bleed the front brakes without pushing back the pads/ and pucks because the fluid just circulates out the bleed nipple as it is built onto the brake feed line. Do some YouTube looking and think about what the fluid is doing. I suspect you now have air in your system and need to do a careful bleeding. motoscan will not help. Nor does the GS 911 program help with the technique of bleeding only the results.

Reactions: Huskyfe250

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brake handle always stay soft even if I pump many time and the fluid stay in the reservoir of the handle bar. On my old bike I was able to build up some pressure and after a couple of cycle, I was able to bleed the brake system. But my new bike has a ABS system and I guess this technique is not working anymore

·
Premium Member
5,118 Posts
It is possible that you had allowed the reservoir to run dry, and air had gotten into the master cylinder. Regular flushing will not get that air out, and there is a special technique that you should follow to get rid of that air bubble. I have never done it myself, and so I will let Beech describe to you as to what should be done!

Reactions: gerhard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a early production (March) 2012rt. Sometime later in the 2012 production year BMW changed the front brake master cylinder/brake lever assembly. If you have the bleed screw on yours as depicted in the enclosed photo then I suggest doing a bleed of the master cylinder to remove any suspected air. If you do not have the older type with no bleed screw then follow the bleed procedure in the service manual. It's possible that the fluid level got
to low while bleeding and air will stay trapped below the reservoir. See item #7 in the photo. 20201122_094837.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I found that the gasket between the cover and the reservoir took the shape of the reservoir when I bleed my brake at first. Not realizing that I filled the reservoir without removing the gasket. Oil was trapped in the reservoir. I removed the oil, put new oil in the reservoir and repeated the bleeding procedure. Now my handle is getting harder but I suspect that I still have air in the system because the handle still feel spongy.

I do have the bleed valve on my master cylinder. Do you bleed the master cylinder the same way that you bleed a brake galiper?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a little tip for next time you bleed the front brakes. Remove the reservoir cap, open the caliper bleed nipple and let gravity do the work for you, the fluid will just flow out slowly. Don't pump the lever, that way no air can enter the system. Just keep an eye on the reservoir and make sure it doesn't empty, top it up regularly.
It takes a couple of minutes longer this way, but its worth it to avoid air getting in, especially if you are working on your own when its awkward to pump the lever and open/close the nipples yourself.
This method doesn't work so well on the rear brakes when the difference in height between the reservoir and calipers is marginal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a early production (March) 2012rt. Sometime later in the 2012 production year BMW changed the front brake master cylinder/brake lever assembly. If you have the bleed screw on yours as depicted in the enclosed photo then I suggest doing a bleed of the master cylinder to remove any suspected air. If you do not have the older type with no bleed screw then follow the bleed procedure in the service manual. It's possible that the fluid level got View attachment 171795 to low while bleeding and air will stay trapped below the reservoir. See item #7 in the photo. View attachment 171795

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure next time I will not do the same mistake again. But still I dont understand one thing. If I pump my brake handle a built some pressure and then open my bleeding nipple from my master cylinder (item #7 on the image above), there iss no oil coming out. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just realized that you have to unssrew the master cylinder bleeder nipple a full turn to let the oil out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts