BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the brake fluid on my 2000 K1200LT. Should I change the fluid in the modulator? If so, do it after the brake callipers or before?

Jim

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
Just open the bleeder screws, it will bleed with gravity. Just make sure you keep the master cylinders full.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
As I read the maintenance CD and the online microfiche, your 2000 does not have a modulator on it. There are two fittings on the top of the ABS II pump that you can bleed air off, but according to my dealer, there shouldn't be any air in there. You will also need some type of brake vacuum pump to pull the air out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
Actually that is what an ABS II unit is - is a brake pressure modulator. That is how the ABS works since it is not a power assisted unit. There are two internal chambers with pistons connected to a crank. When ABS kicks in the pistions go up and down rapidly to "modulate" the brake pressure.

All the fluid flushed from each reservoir to the respective calipers will also flush the modulator. The two ports on the top are for bleeding off any air that may have been introduced. You should not need to mess with them at all is you keep the reservoirs full during the flush.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts