BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with what one could expect for mileage before the pads need replaced?

Mine currently look ok, but I'm wondering what folks seem to go before needing to replace them. I hate surprizes, lol.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm at 43K mostly freeway miles on the original pads, fronts are ready to be replaced, rears are fine.

JayJay

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought my bike used, it is a former RT-P, but I have the maintenance history and the front brakes were replaced about 47000 miles... the rears had not been replaced, and I was warned in February that the rear pads would require replacement this year. I got a set of pads from ebay last month but had not checked the rear except for the rotor and it was within spec and looked good.

Last week, I was reading on one of the forums that changing the rear brake pads was less than a 30 minute job, so over the weekend I planned to change them. When I finally got to it on Saturday morning, I found that the rear pads were within a few microns of being metal to metal! I was glad I had not delayed it any further.

The bike just went over 60,000 miles on it and this is the first time the rear pads have been replaced... I hardly ever use the rear brakes... this new set of pads should last at least until 100,000 miles, but I certainly plan to check them a little more often. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sure is a lot of straight roads in the US of A!!!
Don't think I'm heavy on brakes but my pads need changing about every 10,000 miles and the discs (rotors) on my last two RTs were shot by 40,000 miles. :histerica

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought a 99LT last year with approx 20K miles on it. I had to replace rear pads this year. It has approx 26K miles now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
30k on front pads, around 20k rears.
OE rear disc has lasted 50k, looking a bit thin now, front discs are fine.
OE pads on OE discs work best. EBCH HH rear pads were toast in 6k so I stick with OE pads on OE discs.
\v/

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have 21700/ml on my 09 now and have bin looking for replacements just lately...
Aug/21 will be three years so I don't think this is so bad to replace now....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just bought some new rear pads and the friction material on one pad is quite a bit thicker than the other. I assume they're supposed to be that way - just couldn't work out why ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes, rear inside pad is thinner but even on front where they're same thickness innder wears faster for most folks.

Reason for the thin pad on rear may simply be its cheaper to shave one pad thne two when making a set to fit in the caliper.

Note that the stock inside rear pad has a drilled inspection ole in it- if you look through the calier and see the rotor through that hole the pad is done. But most look at the pad edge or use the indicators machined into the caliper pin.

I get less than 15,000 on the rear EBC HH I switched to. Plenty of twisties in NC so they get plenty of use....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts