BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My LT will be 7 years old next week. I bought it new in 2000 and it's the best bike I've ever owned!

The last time I replaced the brake pads was about 4 or 5 years ago and though they are still in great shape, I feel like being proactive and installing new pads. I don't remember which brand I used the last time but they've provided outstanding service. Very quiet and great stopping power.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the latest and greatest in regards to pads for my '00 LT?

Thank you,
Alaska Bob

Edit...After I posted this I was directed to "similar posts" and realized there were already several helpful threads on the forum. I noticed that there are a bunch more choices available now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My tiny bit of experience: EBC rear pads and Carbone Lorraine rear pads both were great. EBC front pads had excellent stopping power and no squeal, but did not have the anti-rattle clip, which did get annoying as the pads wore down. Carbone Lorraine front pads have sounded like a stuck pig from day 1 and are going to be replaced very soon with BMW front pads.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this is asking fir a lot from this bunch; has there been any consensus on average wear, all minor variables aside. I know i have about 35k on mine, they look and work fine, still allot of pad left... :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I replaced my front pads at 24k. One of the pistons had been dragging and caused that pad to wear down to metal. The other set of pads had at least half of their life left but I changed them anyway since I went with EBC. Checked the rear pads (stock) at the 36k and they still have at least half the original thickness left.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
50 K and still going

I've got almost 50K on mine and more than half of the pad left. I don't brake all that often anyway.

I'll probably replace them when I flush the brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mr Alaska;

Ive had the BMW pads, EBCs,Carbone Lorraines, and Ferodos on my beauty.
The BMW pads very good, but squeel. The EBCs had a constant feel all the time, got rid of them after 2000 miles. Carbone Lorraines I have now, very good similar to the BMW pads. Ferodos, the best Ive used, great in the wet, no squeel and lasted about 30000 miles, harder to find but I love them.
All about the same cost aprox 30$ a pair. IMHO.
Hope this helps.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts