BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the longest lasting brake pads for the K1200LT?

Last set lasted about 12K miles. If I recall correctly, they were EBC HH pads.

More than once I found my rear brake pads down to the metal. Ouch!, that's hard on the rotor.

Any suggestions for rear brake pads that have high mileage?

Running low mileage tires, looking for high mileage brakes. :histerica

BTW: plug for Beemer Bone Yard. I've been buying my KLT stuff from them for a few years. Good outfit, quick order filling, quick shipping. Beemer Bone Yard :thumb:
Disclaimer, don't know 'em, just buy stuff there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
BTW: plug for Beemer Bone Yard. I've been buying my KLT stuff from them for a few years. Good outfit, quick order filling, quick shipping. Beemer Bone Yard :thumb:
Disclaimer, don't know 'em, just buy stuff there.
Not to derail the topic, but I have ordered from them recently for my clutch and the 24K service kit. Great service from them, 2 thumbs up.:dance:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Try Ferodo's, work for me for years. hard to find, but the best brakes Ive used.
Tried EBC, Carbone Lorraine, BMW. Ferodo's still the best overall pads Ive used in all my bikes since the early 90's. KAW, YAM, BMW

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Gee Curtis I still have the stock original pads up front at 90 K and they still have a lot of life left in them. For the rear I am running EBC rotor and EBC sintered pads, but before that I went through two stock rotors (had an extra) and three sets of stock pads. I have 40 K on the EBC.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry, don't know which are longest lasting, but I can tell you I wore down a rear set of Carbone Lorraines nearly to the backing plates in less than 9000 miles. And they squealed the entire time I had them despite multiple attempts to attenuate the noise. Maybe I had the non-optimal pad formulation for street use. IDK.

Working on EBCs now.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is best deal on brake pads for K1200LT?
I've used a number of different suppliers for brake pads over the years. Mostly I've used EBC HH pads.

I comparison shop using google and windows. Open a window, find a supplier, put the purchase in the shopping cart, look at combined purchase and shipping costs....
Open another window and do it again with another vendor.

Continue until you are really tired of the comparison process, and then buy some. :histerica

For me, a place like Beemer Bone Yard that ships the same day I place the order, is worth something compared to those places where your online order goes to Never-Never Land and you wonder if you'll every get your stuff. Folks on this board may remember Chicago BMW. ;)

However, in the case of BBYard, I don't think they have the EBC brakes but carry another major brand.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Got my EBC HH pads from amazon had in a 4 days at a fair price
Just got some rear pads EBC FA304HH a month ago for 28.57 free shipping

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I had been using EBC sintered in front and rear but on the last set I went with SBS HF Ceramic pads and they seem to be holding up. Got about 30k out of last fronts and rear has about 20k and still going..

They seem to be a little cleaner as far as brake dust.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts