BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is for a 1999 K1200LT Bike.

It is time to replace the front brake pads.

I noticed (On both Rotors) that the rear pads are more worn out than the Front pads....is there a reason why ?

Shouldn't both pads on each Rotor wear out equally?

Second question:

I bought a pair of EBC Sintered pads, the place had only one pair.

I need of course another pair since the front takes 4 pads.

On ebay there are some Semi Metalic and Some Carbon/Kevlar pads Made in China that fits the bike at 1/4 the the price of the EBC Pads.

Should I buy a pair of these (and if so, is semi metalic better or is Carbon/Kevlar pads better), and mix them with the EBC ones I already bought ?

If so, should I put one EBC pad on each Rotor and one pad from the other brand ?

I guess the same questions would apply to the rear....should I buy the Chinese made ones for the Rear brakes?

Thank you for your help.

Always grateful.

AJ

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would not mix the pads it would not be a good Idea and as far as the rear pads wearing out faster than the fronts that is pretty normal
I would just stick with the EBC

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
If when you say the "rear" pads you mean the "inner" pads, then that is normal. The LT uses a fixed caliper and a floating rotor. The inner pads will always wear faster than the outer ones because of this. I have gone through three sets or rear wheel brake pads and am still on the original front wheel set with 98k on the bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Personally I love the EBC HH pads. They wear well and provide very consistent braking. Do not mix pairs of pads on the front. As to the wear you are experiencing, the rears definitely wear out faster than the front. You only have one disk on the rear and two on the front and most of us also tend to use the rear brake a bit more than the front for parking lot maneuvers and to slow through a corner when we enter too fast.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
682 Posts
Another vote for the EBC HH pads. You definitely don't want to mix up the pads on the front. Wouldn't hurt to have a different type on the rear, but you want both sides on the front to be the same type and change them at the same time.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Why would it make any difference at all if you mix pads on the front or rear. It's not like it can pull one direction or the other when you stop.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Why would it make any difference at all if you mix pads on the front or rear. It's not like it can pull one direction or the other when you stop.
Dave, not sure if exactly same applies, however similar story...
I got 2 new EBC discs (from the US) for the front wheel.... both labelled the same part number... on opening the hole patterns were different. Installed them anyway since it wasn't really an option to ship back to the US. Noticed a defined judder on hard braking which hadn't been there with the OEM discs.
Contacted EBC in the UK, they said that the discs need to be identical (and therefore I would assume the pad materials). Apparently I'd received an odd shipment from an early batch of new design/material , plus an older one.
They shipped me 2 x new discs of updated design/material finish at no charge.
Once installed the shudder under braking was gone.

So for my 2c, best to keep everything matched. :wave

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know but the opinion seems to be that it does make a difference.

Paying $80 for front brake pads seems excessive to me, they are not made out of Gold so I don't know why they are expensive.

There are those pads from china online for $10 shipping included, just not sure how good they are.

Anyone knows?

·
Registered
682 Posts

Paying $80 for front brake pads seems excessive to me, they are not made out of Gold so I don't know why they are expensive.

There are those pads from china online for $10 shipping included, just not sure how good they are.

Anyone knows?
When the texting teenager pulls out in front of you, do you want $10 pads stopping you?

The other side to that I have found over the years is that the cheap pads tend to eat rotors like candy. You'll find that you lose most of your brake pad savings to replacing rotors. YMMV. I'm a cheapskate and save wherever I can, but there are some places I won't go cheap, brake pads are one of them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree that you are probably not going to notice much if you have a different brand or compound of pads on the front and rear, however, if you mix the pads on the two front rotors (two sets of pads) you are going to get a different amount of friction side to side which will cause a condition that feels like a wheel imbalance when you try to brake. Depending on how much difference there is between the two sets of pads it can become dangerous under hard braking.

In my opinion brakes are something I never skimp on when it comes to maintenance. I may not buy the most expensive parts on the market as I don't run this bike on a track, but I make sure I buy good quality every single time.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
When I ride in the mountains I have EBC HH brake pads on. When riding near home I put the thickest pads I have from working on other LT's & I don't care what brand they are. I've mixed BMW OEM pads, Carbone Lorraine pads & EBC HH pads & the LT isn't smart enough to know the difference. In my opinion the EBC HH pads stop better than the other two brand of pads I have used.

·
Premium Member
7,542 Posts
I agree that you are probably not going to notice much if you have a different brand or compound of pads on the front and rear, however, if you mix the pads on the two front rotors (two sets of pads) you are going to get a different amount of friction side to side which will cause a condition that feels like a wheel imbalance when you try to brake. Depending on how much difference there is between the two sets of pads it can become dangerous under hard braking.
I guess a bike with only one front disk must be downright suicidal then as you have zero friction on one side.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hey;

I have tried many types. IMHO only, just my style of riding. EBC dont care for, BMW very good but $$$$$, carbone lorraine Excellent,
Ferodos by far my favorite. great in the rain, hard to find, but worth the search. But i run thru fronts ALOT faster than rear. dont use it much unless im 2 up. Again just me style.
ONLY MY OPINION.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Anyone knows?
I ended up paying $175 for Brembos (front only) from the local stealership. i did the install too. Guess I feel better knowing they are OEM, but will go with EBC for the rear when needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts