BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, there are a lot of variables. But what have YOU been getting?

My brother had worn through a set on his HD Road King in 10,000 miles, I don't think I thought to even look at the pads on my '09 RT at only 10K...

·
Registered
550 Posts
The road king is much heavier and the brakes require a much heavier hand and foot to stop than the RT's do. OK, I admit Harley brakes are junk and often scary. Owned several and I can attest to my statement. Still, 10k miles is not the norm for pad life. Either he's sport biking it, lots of city miles, or may have a mechanical problem.

I had an 03 RT that had brakes replaced at 60k miles, but there was a lot of highway miles on it. Just saying. tomp dd50

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
There are a lot of variables to consider....

My bike is at 30k miles with the original pads. I asked our world-class private shop this question and he said don't even worry about them till 50 or 60,000 miles.

The good news is you can bend over and look at them...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My front OEM pads were gone at 40K miles. Rear is still good.

JayJay

·
Registered
955 Posts
The inner pad is 2mm thinner when it is brand new. I just replaced my rear pads at 21k miles. The old pad material measured 1.96mm inner, 3.93mm outer. The new Brembo pads measured 5.25mm inner, 7.00mm outer. I'd say the pads wore fairly evenly.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
lkraus said:
The inner pad is 2mm thinner when it is brand new.
Can you only install them one way? Could you mistakenly install the inner and outer pads? Is there a difference in the pads except for the thickness?
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
The backing plates have sort of a hook at the front and a hole for the retainer pin at the rear. Inner and outer pads are not interchangeable. I have no idea why the linings are not equal thicknesses.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
mtrevelino said:
Can you only install them one way? Could you mistakenly install the inner and outer pads? Is there a difference in the pads except for the thickness?
Thank you!!!
Mike - just to clarify, on the fronts the inner and outer are identical. On the rear they are different, and the thinner one of the two is inner.

JayJay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts