BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious about what everyone else was getting mileage wise out of their brake pads? Mine seem to be holding up well (at least half normal thickness) but I am planning on taking another trip to the mountains (Gap, Skyway) soon and I am concerned about how much pad a few days of aggressive two up mountain riding will use up.
The brakes still work perfectly outside of an occasional squeak, but I don't want to be 600 miles from my garage and have the pads start chewing up a rotor.....and after hearing about two of my H-D friends having to but new brakes on their Street Glides every 2500-3500 miles......it really made me curious as to how many highway miles a normal LT gets out of it's pads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good morning!

My '05 LT went almost 50K before I traded it for the '08, and they said the brake pads were only half way worn at the dealer. This is probably all subjective to riding style, I keep the rpm's up and use the decrease in throttle to do most of my braking, my HD friends in front of me, I always see their brake lights going on and off when we ride. I do ride behind them because they don't like how fast the LT can stop, it catches them by surprise every now and again, and I don't want to become part of that 'HITA' Club (HitInTheAss), because of one of my rider friends!

When I take it to get inspected, the person doing the inspection seems to be able to look at the brake pads easily and tell how much I have left, base on how many miles I've gone already on them. Not sure if you have someone like that at your dealer or inspection station.

Good luck on your trip, that's a great ride!!!
Kirk

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
On my 2000 LT with 61K on it I have replaced the rear pads 3 times & will need to again soon. The front on the other hand have been replaced only 1 time at about 50K.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
All depends on your driving habits.
My rear lasted to 36 K and my fronts still strong at 46K.
If you are concerned, buy a set of rears and take with you as they can be replaced without special tools on the road...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
If you're a heavy footbrake user and do a lot of commute traffic you can score the rear rotor within 16,000km (about 10,000m). Took me 2 damaged rotors before I learnt my lesson... now I rarely touch the rear footbrake except in emergencies.

·
Registered
342 Posts
cws said:
If you're a heavy footbrake user and do a lot of commute traffic you can score the rear rotor within 16,000km (about 10,000m). Took me 2 damaged rotors before I learnt my lesson... now I rarely touch the rear footbrake except in emergencies.
huh????? how come you are wearing out the rears quicker than the front??? maybe has something to do with the linked version?? "trailbraking" through corners??? Beryl goes through front pads in say 40k-kms, and rears lasting mucho longer as I very rare if at all use the rear, cos it is hopeless as a brake....has always been like that from new...I wonder how it was ever approved, and of course is not linked to the front....
Shane T in Rocky got probably over 100k-kms outta his front pads as he very rarely has to use them up north, uses his LT for long distance stuff Rocky to MotoGP each year etc etc

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I can say I used up a rear set of pads in 15K. However I feel it was from an EBC rear rotor that was not right, and my habit of very light rear break pedal for most city and some twistie riding. I guess old habits from years gone by.

I have heard it said that all brakes are on but I believe you can use light rear brake pedal for trail braking and in city driving without engaging the front, or at least little pressure from the fronts. At least it appears that way to me on my 07.

At any rate EBC pads are cheap you can do all 3 calipers for the cost of about 1 OEM set cost. Lot of advances in brake pad materials with ceramic, and Kevlar, and some of the organic mixes, and of course full blown race pads.

I also agree a set of pads takes little to no room on the bike if traveling, and is as simple as a after dinner drink to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I replaced the rear at 14K but 7K of that was the previous owner. I used aftermarket pads for 28.00 and it took 20 minutes. The fronts look like they still have a ways to go. If you think they are even close to needing to be replaced, it's too cheap and easy not to be on the side of caution.

I used these pads:
http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts