BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1999 K1200LT.

The Left front side brake line. On the Front wheel by the Left side caliber is leaking. And of course there is no braking power left aside from little in the rear brakes.

It looks like a short rubber hose.

First, is there a way to repair this?

Second: Where is the best place to buy a metal braided hose replacement ? Least expensive but good quality would be nice. I assume the other side (on the Right side of front wheel is the same).?

This looks easy enough to replace but maybe someone has an input or ideas on this.?

Thank you so much for your help.
AJ

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
On such an old LT, all of them should be replaced at the same time with Spieglers as when one goes the rest are about to go shortly. Doing them all at once, you also minimize the times you need to bleed the systems. Just do a Google search to find vendors. :wave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On such an old LT, all of them should be replaced at the same time with Spieglers as when one goes the rest are about to go shortly. Doing them all at once, you also minimize the times you need to bleed the systems. Just do a Google search to find vendors. :wave
The bike has about 34k miles only. I don't understand why these should go out so soon on such a high end bike.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's the age of the bike but you really should replace them all The bleeding of the system is quite time consuming

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the age of the bike but you really should replace them all The bleeding of the system is quite time consuming
Is bleeding this bike involves more than opening the nipples on the front (near the front calibers) and letting the air out?

Is the rear brake separate from the front one?

Thank you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is bleeding this bike involves more than opening the nipples on the front (near the front calibers) and letting the air out?

Is the rear brake separate from the front one?

Thank you.
Almost everything you will need to change out the lines and bleed the brakes is on this Forum or Illinois BMW Riders - BMW Motorrad Club Northern Illinois - More than just a riders club

There are number of DIY vidoes on this subject at the above website.

It is not a simple job to bleed the system and change the lines but it is doable for an average wrencher like myself with help from the videos and Forum.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The bike has about 34k miles only. I don't understand why these should go out so soon on such a high end bike.
These OEM lines are a known issue on all LT bikes. They degrade and then will spring a leak or burst far sooner than any brake line should and they do it usually at a very inopportune time like when you really need to stop and then you can't. It is a safety issue so you really should upgrade them to Spieglers or if you want to, you can replace them all with stock again and get another maybe 10 years but the key words are REPLACE and ALL and ASAP. Most opt for Spiegler stainless braided lines and there is a kit with everything you need. The mother ship realized the issue and changed the type of lines on other models but the LT never got that upgrade so all of them have the less than desired rubber lines OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1999 K1200LT.

The Left front side brake line. On the Front wheel by the Left side caliber is leaking. And of course there is no braking power left aside from little in the rear brakes.

Second: Where is the best place to buy a metal braided hose replacement ? Least expensive but good quality would be nice. I assume the other side (on the Right side of front wheel is the same).?

This looks easy enough to replace but maybe someone has an input or ideas on this.?

AJ
I recently replaced my OEM lines with Spieglers ... before one burst. Replacing the lines was fairly straightforward, but I had my LT stripped down for a clutch job which helped a lot. I agree with others who say to bite the bullet and replace them all.

Bleeding the LT brakes is tedious. On my LT, there are 10 bleed ports and 12 bleed cycles as two of the ABS ports must be bled twice. Working alone, this took me 4 hours and I still don't have all the air out.

I think the wheel circuits are OK as the ABS pump really moves the fluid and purges things quickly and thoroughly. It is the control circuits that are the pain.

My front went fairly well, but still feels a little soft. I think because my bike is still on the lift and I couldn't turn the bars full lock left to properly orient the master cylinder.

The rear is a major pain. I spent close to 30 minutes getting out the air between reservoir and master cylinder. I spent another 45+ minutes going through the 4 cycle bleed between master cylinder and ABS. I could not get good flow out of any of the 3 ports for the rear. Have an air lock somewhere. Finally gave up and went to the othe 3 circuits where I had good success.

I will make another run at the rear control when I get back from a trip. I am hoping the 5 days of sitting will let some of the air naturally rise up from the rear master cylinder.

So, bite the bullet and Do them all at once and suffer the bleed cycle just one time.
:smile:

·
Registered
183 Posts
His 99' has the non-integrated brakes, Correct? So it should be easier and more direct than the integrated brakes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM lines with Spieglers ... before one burst. Replacing the lines was fairly straightforward, but I had my LT stripped down for a clutch job which helped a lot. I agree with others who say to bite the bullet and replace them all.

Bleeding the LT brakes is tedious. On my LT, there are 10 bleed ports and 12 bleed cycles as two of the ABS ports must be bled twice. Working alone, this took me 4 hours and I still don't have all the air out.

I think the wheel circuits are OK as the ABS pump really moves the fluid and purges things quickly and thoroughly. It is the control circuits that are the pain.

My front went fairly well, but still feels a little soft. I think because my bike is still on the lift and I couldn't turn the bars full lock left to properly orient the master cylinder.

The rear is a major pain. I spent close to 30 minutes getting out the air between reservoir and master cylinder. I spent another 45+ minutes going through the 4 cycle bleed between master cylinder and ABS. I could not get good flow out of any of the 3 ports for the rear. Have an air lock somewhere. Finally gave up and went to the othe 3 circuits where I had good success.

I will make another run at the rear control when I get back from a trip. I am hoping the 5 days of sitting will let some of the air naturally rise up from the rear master cylinder.

So, bite the bullet and Do them all at once and suffer the bleed cycle just one time.
MATT,

Agree with you the OP (BMW_forever) needs to realize that low mileage is not a large factor. These original factory brake hoses are 17 years old and need to be replaced - all of them - without exception.

HOWEVER, on the positive side, he said he had a 1999, so this is much easier to bleed than later K1200LT like yours. For USA market, all 1999-2000 have ABS2 system and the simpler bleeding procedure is covered in CLYMER manual (chapter 14 , Brake system ABS II).

Bleed procedure for ABS2 is pretty much like any regular brake system EXCEPT for:
1) Top of ABS modulator has to nipples pointing UP: 1 for for Front brake line and 1 for Rear brake line. These need to be done after bleed has been done at respective Calipers.

2) The REAR caliper has 2 bleed nipples: Do INNER bleed nipple first, then do OUTER nipple.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I Also have a brake lines question. Bought a 2006LT 4 months ago.. Great ride. Reading about all these brake line issues, i decided to check mine out. Well i was pleasantly surprise when i saw they were steel braided lines. How do i know if they were speigler? I couldn't find a data plate on em. Also, when i did a transmission oil service, i noticed the brake line from the foot pedal is NOT steel braided. Not sure if it should be or not. Either way, all the rest are, so at least i know those have been changed
I don't remember if they actually have their name on them but if it is, I think it would be on the plastic bushing near the crimp at the banjo fitting embossed into the plastic.

The rear MC line was the first of mine to go and yes, it too should be braided so I wonder if someone took the lines to a local hydraulic shop and had them remade with braided hose. Spiegler are very thin compared to the original. Probably just as good either way but the one short line is suspect. I don't think Spiegler sells the individual lines so you may be better off either taking that one if all the others front and rear are already braided, to a local shop to be remade, or you could drop the $60 on another OEM line for that one and replace it again in 10 years :)

34 32 2 333 221 BRAKE HOSE 0.19 1 $60.74

Reactions: BeemerJoe

·
Registered
183 Posts
While it may be a "high end" bike time breaks all things down. The brake lines deteriorate from the inside due to the brake fluid, DOT 4 brake fluid absorbs water from the air, rubber bushings dry out and fall apart, gas (ethanol) eats at fuel lines in the tank, engines that don't run can corrode on the inside, oil can become acidic and eat at things. I have an 2002 with 38,000 miles and I've spent the last few weeks replacing these things.

You can take the brake lines off and take them to a decent hydraulic hose shop and have some made but its faster and easier to just buy the kit. Grab two large bottles of brake fluid, some rubber hose to put on the bleeders, a funnel and plan on spending a day or two to get it done. It's not hard just a pain and slow the first time you do it.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
MATT,

Agree with you the OP (NMW_forever) needs to realize that low mileage is not a large factor. These original factory brake hoses are 17 years old and need to be replaced - all of them - without exception.

HOWEVER, on the positive side, he said he had a 1999, so this is much easier to bleed than later K1200LT like yours. For USA market, all 1999-2000 have ABS2 system and the simpler bleeding procedure is covered in CLYMER manual (chapter 14 , Brake system ABS II)
I am only familiar with the I-ABS. However, even easy systems like cars and my former Kawasaki's can still be a pain when "dry" so I suggest a "once and done" approach.

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the very helpful replies:

I checked the Spiegler website and could not find any kit/lines for the KLT.

4 Years ago I replaced the 23 inch long line that goes from the Right hand Fluid container (on top of the steering bar) to the connection point under the bike. I replaced it with a steel braided line from a company called H-e-l USA which made the line in couple of days and sent it to me for $49. Their service was excellent.

The short rubber hose that is leaking also cost $49 from them & they are giving me free shipping since I am a repeat customer.

Now, I am thinking if I would be better off getting an entire kit instead of just this one hose?

Since I can't find the kit price on Spiglers website, I don't know which is cheaper....the one hose for $49 or to get the entire kit.??

Any ideas of the cost of the kit please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Thank you all for the very helpful replies:

I checked the Spiegler website and could not find any kit/lines for the KLT.

4 Years ago I replaced the 23 inch long line that goes from the Right hand Fluid container (on top of the steering bar) to the connection point under the bike. I replaced it with a steel braided line from a company called H-e-l USA which made the line in couple of days and sent it to me for $49. Their service was excellent.

The short rubber hose that is leaking also cost $49 from them & they are giving me free shipping since I am a repeat customer.

Now, I am thinking if I would be better off getting an entire kit instead of just this one hose?

Since I can't find the kit price on Spiglers website, I don't know which is cheaper....the one hose for $49 or to get the entire kit.??

Any ideas of the cost of the kit please?

Thank you.
The kit is normally about $250 but there are distributors who have made a deal to include more than just the lines such as all new banjo bolts. The kit from Spiegler direct comes with the lines and fittings plus aluminum crush washers but not new banjo bolts. Price is the same but I don't have a link to one of those dealers.

Here is the link to the kit on the spiegler site for your bike.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brak...-1200-lt/year/1999/position/front-+-rear.html

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
The kit is normally about $250 but there are distributors who have made a deal to include more than just the lines such as all new banjo bolts. The kit from Spiegler direct comes with the lines and fittings plus aluminum crush washers but not new banjo bolts. Price is the same but I don't have a link to one of those dealers.

Here is the link to the kit on the spiegler site for your bike.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brak...-1200-lt/year/1999/position/front-+-rear.html
Spiegler BMW K 1200 LT 02-10 Front/Rear Brake Line Kit (orig. w/ABS, Integral) - Sportbike Track Gear

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1999 K1200LT.

AJ
Hi.

If you 'd like a set of spiegler brake line, i have a set , brand new. This will fit your 99LT.
If you are interested, call me at 702 469 6718. Leave a message.

Jean

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi.

If you 'd like a set of spiegler brake line, i have a set , brand new. This will fit your 99LT.
If you are interested, call me at 702 469 6718. Leave a message.

Jean
Thank you Jean. I will call you tomorrow as it might be too late to call you now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Actually, i told the right foot peg cover off to again look at the brake line, and yes it is a Steel braided line, so they have in fact all been changed. The rubber line that i saw was the filler line from the brake reservoir which is supposed to be rubber. As far as them being spiegler they are.. Thanks for all the responses.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 20 of 48 Posts