BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people! :wave

First, I apologize if my English is not perfect. :D

I had a K1200LT 2000 for 15 years, after 130,000 kilometers (80,000 miles) I sold it last week to seek an used LT but most recently.

On my bike, after 8 years and 40,000 miles, it was necessary to change the brake hoses (or brake lines? what is the correct name?) because they were clogged.

On that occasion was told to me that in other bikes, those with EVO system, the pipes have exploded. They told me that the BMW suggest to replace the brake hoses after 5-7 years.

Brake fluid (it is not oil...) is aggressive, and over time will damage the brake hoses, especially on the LT that, for the weight, it requires considerable pressure to brake.

Now I'm looking for a LT that took place after 2004, motorcycles (with 9 to 11 years of life) but no one ever changed the brake hoses.

It seems that no one is aware of the need to change the brake hoses after 5-7 years.

You know something?

Personally I prefer to change them as preventive maintenance, putting "braided hoses" (not sure if the translation is correct) instead of the original ones, but I would like to know your experiences.

Many thanks for your answer

Marco

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Welcome to this forum, Marco!

I installed a set of Spiegler steel-braided brake lines on my '07 K1200LT a couple of months ago, during a 12,000 mile service, and am very happy with the results. (My bike has almost 40,000 miles on it.)

There are a number of previous posts from other forum members who have reported that their original brake lines burst on them. Some people have replaced their lines one at a time, but if you can afford it, it makes sense to replace them all at once during a scheduled maintenance.

Good luck on your search for a newer LT. Maybe you will be lucky and find a good one that has already had it's brake lines replaced. :bmw:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes - Spiegler lines are what you need. I'll be doing this task myself in the next month...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers .

The Spiegler steel-braided brake above mentioned are those that in Italy are called "braided hoses", and are those that are willing to do install.

I searched on the forum if there were news about problems on the brakes, but did not found anything about it. :mad:

I thank you for having given confirmation to what I knew .

The brake system of a motorcycle is very important for safety, I can not use a bike if I'm not sure that I have good tires and good brakes.

It remains only to know if BMW plans to change the brake lines within a certain period or not.

Marco

·
Registered
399 Posts
There have been a lot of threads / posts about brake hoses / lines & I think the consensus (at least my opinion) is that if they are OEM, change them to SS braided hoses, like Speigler. In the US they cost about $240. I preemptively changed mine last winter to be safe.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What Jim said. Several threads on the subject. I had the foot cylinder to ABS blow on me but that was repaired with stock before I joined this forum and read about all the issues and recommendations for Speiglers. They are on my list for this year as the rest are stock and probably original.

The lines would only clog if they were never serviced/flushed periodically as is recommended and that is not good news for the ABS units as they often fail after flushing very long overdue fluid from debris being dislodged during purging. The lines do have a limited life span though and I agree, if the breaks are not reliable, you got nothin. Good luck in your search for a newer LT.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Hi Marco... installed Speigler braided brake lines on my 2005 (euro
2004 build) LT with just over 100,000km last year. Didn't need to, just felt that around 10 years and that many km's it was a good safety
measure to do the upgrade. Can't say I noticed any difference in
braking at all, my original rubber lines still appeared to be in
reasonable condition.

I've also go a K1200GT of same vintage I ride daily, all OEM rubber
lines but only 32,000km. No plans to change that over in the short term, braking is fantastic as it is. One day it'll get Speiglers though.

cheers

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts