BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, Today I start the anticipated brake line replacement on my 2004 LT. I had planned on changing the lines preemptively to avoid disaster but that didn't happen. I blew a line near the rear master cylinder when I was putting the bike on the lift last fall for its winter roost. Long story short....the change didn't get done over winter.

It appears that all of the brake fluid has drained out of the bike through the hemorrhaged brake line. So the question is, do I face an added challenge of brake line replacement and fluid replacement after having losing all this fluid ( so it appears) ? I am hoping to get out in the garage today to get the beast undressed ready for the brake line replacement. Speigler's have been delivered. :)

I also have reviewed Kirk's videos on this but did not see clear guidance on this particular detail. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Installing new brake lines includes complete fluid change and removal of air introduced in the line change. Its a job, especially with your servo system bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did my brake lines on my 2004 with Spieglers and all went well. Follow Kirk's video on it and you will do fine. I do have a gs911 to check the bleed for any air, and I did have to bleed the front circuits twice before they came out clean. I would suggest testing it before going out on the road.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
It is always best to drain the system before changing lines anyway to reduce spillage of the nasty fluid. On the wheel circuits it is easiest to push new fluid from the calipers back to the reservoir especially on the pre-05 bikes, since the reservoir is remoted via a small hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts