BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My 2002 LT still has the stock brake lines. I've read many posts and several videos that give grave warning to upgrade to braided Speigler lines.

I'm just curious whether this is the majority or minority of the community, and whether there are any/many LTs still running their factory brake lines with no problems.

Registered
I just bought an '03 LT and wondered the same thing myself. After reading and thinking, I have concluded that collective wisdom is sometimes truly wise! While it's possible and maybe even likely that I could keep the original lines, the downside risk of a sudden brake failure or expensive ABS clog due to debris in the old lines is just too great. Bedsides, stainless lines look kind of cool!馃槣

I have ordered and will install stainless lines as part of the complete baseline service I am planning.

Registered
Hi all. My 2002 LT still has the stock brake lines. I've read many posts and several videos that give grave warning to upgrade to braided Speigler lines.

I'm just curious whether this is the majority or minority of the community, and whether there are any/many LTs still running their factory brake lines with no problems.
For all IABS with servos built between 2001-2005 (K1200RS and R1150xx) or 2001-2009 (K1200LT) I have seen enough of these black rubber hose fail that YOU MAY THINK TWICE before you delay further the decision. For approx $US 230 (if you do it yourself) do you really want to guess if you will be lucky (or not) in the stats....

I am not paranoid, I always do my own maintenance AND I will not gamble on my safety for certain items like brakes. A good saying from my aviation days: "If you think safety is expensive, try an accident."

Registered
I have a 2001 and got it with original lines. Once the second line burst within a month, I decided that there was no hype about these old rubber lines, only facts. If you still have the original lines, you are on borrowed time.

I was lucky in that both burst as I was leaving my home and could immediately return home without having found my safety compromised. It could have turned out much differently.

Registered

Definitely it's the majority. Stock brake lines are vastly inferior. Do it now if you think your bacon is worth saving.
Bob

Registered
Definitely it's the majority. Stock brake lines are vastly inferior. Do it now if you think your bacon is worth saving.
Bob
In reference to "Stock brake lines", I should have added the following note to my earlier post:

It would appear that around 2003-2005 period, even BMW corporate / warranty dept got the memo of these failure rate as all NEW models that came out in 2005 and later received SUPERIOR steel-braided brake hoses from factory (R1200xx, K1200S, K1300S, K1300GT, K1600...). In BMW brochure and tech documents these are called "Stahlflex steel-braided brake lines".

Because the K1200LT was planned to be retired eventually and replaced by another model-engine combo, I can pretty much guess that in 2005 they did NOT bother to retrofit the last generation of K1200LT on the assembly line (2005-2009) with steel-braided brake hoses like all newer models. This last sentence is my opinion only...

Registered
In reference to "Stock brake lines", I should have added the following note to my earlier post:

It would appear that around 2003-2005 period, even BMW corporate / warranty dept got the memo of these failure rate as all NEW models that came out in 2005 and later received SUPERIOR steel-braided brake hoses from factory (R1200xx, K1200S, K1300S, K1300GT, K1600...). In BMW brochure and tech documents these are called "Stahlflex steel-braided brake lines".

Because the K1200LT was planned to be retired eventually and replaced by another model-engine combo, I can pretty much guess that in 2005 they did NOT bother to retrofit the last generation of K1200LT on the assembly line (2005-2009) with steel-braided brake hoses like all newer models. This last sentence is my opinion only...
I should have said "stock non-steel reinforced" lines are vastly inferior.

Registered
I should have said "stock non-steel reinforced" lines are vastly inferior.
BOB,
Good point.... This is the reason why I added my last post on this subject.
I felt that both of our earlier posts may leave a new BMW owner wondering: "Why in hell does BMW keeps using inferior brake hoses on these bike?"

I am done - I rest my case ;-)

Reactions: johnbaker15

Registered
Last summer I replaced all the brakelines to Spieglers on my '99 LT because one of my frontlines broke in the mountains. That was not a fun moment. But more then happy now with my new SS-lines :)

Premium Member
Last summer I replaced all the brakelines to Spieglers on my '99 LT because one of my frontlines broke in the mountains. That was not a fun moment. But more then happy now with my new SS-lines :)
For those still on the fence about changing their stock lines out, the above could be quite the adrenalin rush, if you survive... I can also attest to sailor's comment that BMW did not change over from the inferior lines to the steel braided lines when they manufactured my '07 LT (which now has Spieglers). These are well worth it for peace of mind. :bmw:

Registered
I had a failure on the line from the rear master cylinder of my '99 (with @85K miles) about a thousand miles from home, less than halfway into my trip. Replaced with a set of Spiegler lines once I got home.

As these are touring bikes, might be best to do preventative maintenance before you leave home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for responding everyone. This might seem like beating a dead horse, but I had to ask. Over the years I've owned and maintained many bikes, and there have been many times that other owners would tell me, "You have to get the newest (performance mod/design improvement/farkle/motorized widget/chrome plated doohickey/electronic whizzer), or your bike will (crash/blow up/be worthless/etc.), or you just won't be cool." Sometimes they were right. Sometimes they were wrong. I just wanted to make sure this mod wasn't in that category.

The fact that BMW chose to add reinforced lines to most of their product offerings in 2007 tells me that they, too, found the original lines inadequate, or there were enough owners that were swapping them that they saw this as a selling feature on their new bikes.

I ordered a new set of Speiglers an hour ago. The cost wasn't the issue. I'm more concerned about my ability to get all of the air bled out of the integral ABS system after the lines are installed. Another challenge . . . .another learning curve!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, has anyone with Speigler lines had one fail yet?

Registered
Thanks for responding everyone. This might seem like beating a dead horse, but I had to ask. Over the years I've owned and maintained many bikes, and there have been many times that other owners would tell me, "You have to get the newest (performance mod/design improvement/farkle/motorized widget/chrome plated doohickey/electronic whizzer), or your bike will (crash/blow up/be worthless/etc.), or you just won't be cool." Sometimes they were right. Sometimes they were wrong. I just wanted to make sure this mod wasn't in that category.

The fact that BMW chose to add reinforced lines to most of their product offerings in 2007 tells me that they, too, found the original lines inadequate, or there were enough owners that were swapping them that they saw this as a selling feature on their new bikes.

I ordered a new set of Speiglers an hour ago. The cost wasn't the issue. I'm more concerned about my ability to get all of the air bled out of the integral ABS system after the lines are installed. Another challenge . . . .another learning curve!
Get John Zeiler's brake flush DVD. Exellent tutorial. Keeps more $$ in your pocket rather than the dealer's pocket.

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
BTW, has anyone with Speigler lines had one fail yet?
I believe they are warranted for life so that means they will likely not fail.

FWIW I had a 1976 Suzuki GT-750 I pickup in 1994. I had it four years before I noticed it didn't stop as good as my 74 model did. Looked at the front brake hoses (MFG date 1972) and they would inflate. Replaced them with new stock and she was stopping on a dime. No one should ever ride/drive a vehicle with rubber brake hoses over 10 years old (especially my 29 year old ones)!

Registered
:deadhorse I drank the Kool Aid - have Spiegler's now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I find it telling that not one response said, "I have the stock brake lines, and after 75,000 miles they are just fine." There may be a few out there, but if so, no one is interested in admitting it. :wink:

Registered
I find it telling that not one response said, "I have the stock brake lines, and after 75,000 miles they are just fine." There may be a few out there, but if so, no one is interested in admitting it. :wink:
Well, if you are on this forum and have an LT or early model, it gets talked about a lot especially to new members/owners. katnapinn's recent thread is only one example of what can happen. I hope you read it.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/143897-cautionary-tale-brake-lines.html

Registered
Are you feeling lucky? I have some perfectly good LOOKING OEM brake hoses you can have for free.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

Premium Member
Are you feeling lucky? I have some perfectly good OEM brake hoses you can have for free.
Yeah, I had some cosmetically good lines on mine that I trashed, as I didn't know what was going on inside, but didn't want to take a chance. As long as the bike can go, it needs to be able to stop too... >:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts