BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake light is staying on when riding? I check the archives and it appears some folks had a problem of the brake like staying on even if the switch is off. My light does go off with the switch, but is on when the switch is on. The brake light relay seemed to fix the stay on the entire time problem. Does any have a problem like mine with the light on only when the switch is on??? I would think that the light would be on all the time if it was the relay???? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,114 Posts
You did not say which year you have. The 2001 and later the ABS unit sends the signal to the relay and lights the light based on inputs from the front brake lever switch and the foot brake switch. Either can be out of adjustment. With the bike off place an ear near the foot brake and press down slowly you should hear a distince click when the switch activates. Like wise with the fron brake level however this will be much quieter. If you don't hear them then that is where your fault is and the errant will have to be adjusted or replaced.

On the early bikes those switches feed the relay direct.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
You did not say which year you have. The 2001 and later the ABS unit sends the signal to the relay and lights the light based on inputs from the front brake lever switch and the foot brake switch. Either can be out of adjustment. With the bike off place an ear near the foot brake and press down slowly you should hear a distince click when the switch activates. Like wise with the fron brake level however this will be much quieter. If you don't hear them then that is where your fault is and the errant will have to be adjusted or replaced.

On the early bikes those switches feed the relay direct.
Got a '99 LT and I hear the relay click with both the front lever and the rear pedal?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,114 Posts
In that case I would say the relay is stuck, but it going off with the switch bothers me since that relay is not fed with switched power. There may be a short some where that is feeding switched power to the brake light circuit after the relay.

I worked on a bike that had several wires melted together from the starter relay all the way back to the battery. That bike was "ON" with the key off!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts