BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
On my 02 LTC the brake lights randomly "stuck on" for about a half hour while riding Friday night. I am trying to determine if the servo brakes can activate the lights or if it only the switch on the front and rear brake levers.
NOTE: No idiot lights came.

History: I had been riding for about 45 minutes using the cruise control and everything was working fine. Had to stop at a two lane bridge repair to wait for the light to change. Light changed rode slowly through the construction area and then hit resume on the cruise and no response. Tried hitting set with no response. Checked mirrors for traffic and noticed the tail light seemed real bright. Since no traffic I applied the brakes and lights didn't change. Tried lifting on the rear peddle no change. Tried pumping both brakes individually, no change. Noticed while riding that the lights would blink on and off. When off the cruise worked, when on the cruise did not. I suspected a sticky switch but when I pulled the garage everything worked properly.

To for a short test ride Saturday and about 100 mile ride on Sunday with no more failures.

Any suggestions on what may have happened?

Thanks

the confused bigbear

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Picked up a stone?

You might have picked up a stone or other debris that lodged itself against the switches that activate the brake light. This would also cause cruise control to not engage. I've had this happen to me on occassion. Drives you nutz thinking you have a major problem, only to clear by itself.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
With the bike off in a quiet place you can hear the micro switches as they activate. Try pressing the foot pedal until you hear the click. There is a round thin metal arm that resides just above the adjusting bolt that activates this switch. Then pull the front lever until you hear the click. If you don't hear a click then push forward on the lever. This one may need adjusting if you have to push forward to get it to shut off.

Remember that if one of the switches is stuck the servos will be running all the time. Best to find it and fix it before it stresses the battery/charging system.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John & Grif,
I guess I should have been more specific. The brake servo was not running just the brake lights. If the brakes would have been randomly applying, it would not have been an enjoyable ride.

Tom,
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure on these over complicated brakes if there could be other factors to consider.

Thanks all or Ya'all

Roy

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Ok with that bit of info I vote for a sticking brake light relay. The reason- the switches feed the ABS unit and turn on the servos (the whine you hear) and then the ABS unit provides a ground for the brake light relay to turn on the lights. If you are getting lights and no servo sounds its the relay.

The servos will whine before they apply any brake force and they come on every time a brake switch is opened. Repeat my test with the key on and you will hear them when the switch activates.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
My LT was doing the same thing............................
Then I discovered that when the cruise would not engage (therefore brake light was on) I could nudge the hand brake lever forward while riding and then the cruise would engage (brake light out)
That narrowed the search and a minor adjustment to the switch at the brake lever fixed it..............
Hope yours is as easy....................

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Relay function

Being half deaf and mostly dummmm....
I tried applying the brakes with the key on engine not running. On my bike the brake lights will come on before the servo pump starts whining loud enough for me to hear it. This was true with either the front lever or rear pedal movement.

I tried lifting on the rear pedal and pushing out on the front lever when it was failing with no success. Since it appears to be working now it makes trouble shooting very difficult. Random failures are a PITA...

For the time being I guess I will "Just Ride the Darn Thing"

Appreciate all of the advice and will keep this in mind when and or if it acts up again.

Roy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts