BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. I went to the hall of wisdom but could not find anything on this specific problem which means I must not be looking hard enough because this site has answered all of my LT questions by searching old posts... My '99 brake light stays on. Anyone experience anything similar? Haven't had any electrical work however the rear main seal has just been replaced and the clutch has been renewed. Just got it back a few days ago from that job. However had a bad experience with them and am not too keen on running back there. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sammy

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the brake light switch wires was not reconnected to the main harness at the plug near the rear brake fluid reservoir then the brake light will remain on.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Does the brake light stay on when you turn the key off?
If you then pull the fuse will it go out?
If so, Mark Neblett diagnosed mine recently in a thread I can't locate as a defective relay. I have located the relay in the electrical box under the gas tank, part number 6136-1393-412, did not have one on hand but I took it out had a little prayer meeting over it, put it back in and it has been working for the last two weeks. I have a new one on order. Dick Largen was having a similar problem and I don't know if his has been fixed yet. Maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same problem on my '99 about four years ago. turned out to be the brake light relay. Replaced it and haven't had a problem with it since. Such a bear to get to.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
jeffklt said:
Does the brake light stay on when you turn the key off?
If you then pull the fuse will it go out?
If so, Mark Neblett diagnosed mine recently in a thread I can't locate as a defective relay. I have located the relay in the electrical box under the gas tank, part number 6136-1393-412, did not have one on hand but I took it out had a little prayer meeting over it, put it back in and it has been working for the last two weeks. I have a new one on order. Dick Largen was having a similar problem and I don't know if his has been fixed yet. Maybe he'll chime in.
Yeppir, Jeff. I forgot you were having the same problem 'bout the time Toad wuz acting up. And it turned out to be the brake light relay WAAAAY down in the electrical box behind the Motronic. Relay wuz just about 10 bucks at Rhinewest, and although I initially wuz gonna let Hank do the switch, he got real buzy so I decided to try it myself. Will be a piece of cake if I ever have to do it again, butt if you've got big mitts like me, it takes some cussing and threats the first time. Glad yours is working after your exorcism gig, Jeff.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yeah, it's under the tank with the starter realy. On the plus side it's only about 10 dollars for the relay. Doing mine this weekend, I plan to do a major service at the same time since the bike will already be naked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the light is now going on and off... tried just the front lever this time and the light stayed on again ... just before I shut down, light goes out.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's only a matter of time. Mine acted up periodically over almost a year before the relay finally stuck for good. If it's freed itself that's great but may as well plan on replacing it next time the tupperwares off.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Sammy,

Where are you located? Several areas hold periodic tech sessions, and pulling the gas tank and swapping a relay isn't that tough with a little experienced help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts