BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

On my way back home tonight, I noticed that when I was braking with the right front lever, the brake light did not turn on while it was working perfecty with the foot brake pedal.

Once in my garage, it was working fine again using the front or the rear brake. I suspect a switch located in the right handlebar. What do you think ? If it's a problem with the switch, is it difficult to check and to change ? Can anyone post a pic/draw of it ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
buffalo said:
On my way back home tonight, I noticed that when I was braking with the right front lever, the brake light did not turn on while it was working perfecty with the foot brake pedal.
Thanks, Brian, but this is the opposite problem -- no brake light.

The fact that the rear switch was working confirms the relay's ok.

Unless there's been something to cause the brake light switch wiring to be damaged, the problem may be the brake light switch under the right grip housing. The brake light switch (like the clutch switch), is a very small item which is accessed from under the right grip -- there is a black plastic cover under the brake lever pivot.

The switch is actuated by a cam surface on the lever, and if it's at juuust the right position, the switch will be right on the "knife-edge" of working as the cam passes by the switch -- sometimes the cam surface doesn't *quite* push the switch the last thousandth or so it needs for the plunger to go over-center and make electrical contact.

The switch is held up to the roof of the grip housing from the bottom by a single screw, and a hole in the switch fits over a post. In theory, the post keeps the switch from rotating. However, we've found that if you loosen the switch, you can rotate the switch just a hair and cinch it back down. This allows you to move the switch closer to the lever to get it to trigger.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation. I will try to check it within a couple of days !

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts