BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
Need an opinion about break light flashers.
Have a 2007 LT with Led break light in the top case. I want to install a break light flasher module that will allow the top case break light to flash then go solid. Here's where your opinion comes in.
I've seen a variety of modules for sale raning from $10 to $90+ The more expensive units provide a variety of flash patterns via small controls. The cheaper modules basically are preset with 1 flash pattern, normally 4 quick flashes, 4 slow flashes then solid.
The installation point is straight forward behind the trunk mirror where the light bar has its quick disconnect, so this is not rocket science.
Any opinions ?

Registered
Some flash patterns are not legal. And there are some nifty units that light up when you slow your bike down by engine compression (closing the throttle). If it keeps you from getting nailed by an inattentive driver, it has saved you. Though I have a friend who has such a light circus going on the back of his bike it is really annoying to ride behind him.

Premium Member
I added a module to my 2002 LT, that flashed when inertia changed and then later moved it to my K1600. I think it is one of the most valuable safety features you can add to your bike. It doesn't matter which, as long as it works.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Scimitar - no the break light bar is functioning properly. The idea came to me while riding behind a Honda GW, while in my cage. I'm having trouble justifying spending a lot of cash for functions (alternative flash patterns) that I'll never use. However, I'm wary of the longevity and quality of the cheaper ones, e.g. $10 walmart special.

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Get the $10 one they work just fine five flashes then solid.

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Yes as long as you only connect to the two outer bulbs and not the center one.

Premium Member
Guys
Need an opinion about break light flashers.
Have a 2007 LT with Led break light in the top case. I want to install a break light flasher module that will allow the top case break light to flash then go solid. Here's where your opinion comes in.
I've seen a variety of modules for sale raning from $10 to $90+ The more expensive units provide a variety of flash patterns via small controls. The cheaper modules basically are preset with 1 flash pattern, normally 4 quick flashes, 4 slow flashes then solid.
The installation point is straight forward behind the trunk mirror where the light bar has its quick disconnect, so this is not rocket science.
Any opinions ?
Better fix that break light as LTs break enough without a break light. 馃榿

Now if you want to flash your brake light, probably any of the modules available will work. I bought the Kisan TailBlazer 13 years ago as it seemed to be well regarded in the community. So far, it has worked perfectly for 13 years and 90,000 miles so I鈥檇 definitely recommend it. It was fairly easy to install, but isn鈥檛 the cheapest option out there I鈥檓 sure. I tend to value reliability over cost and will pay a little more for things that have a good reputation and track record.

This is the one I bought as I have the LED bar on my luggage rack. It also lights the light bar as a running light which is very night at night. Kisan 25LED-LT tailBlazer for BMW K1200 LT ^ | eBay

Registered
I have the simple flasher installed. Strobes the luggage rack LEDs a bit and then goes solid.
Seems to work well enough.
The fancy ones I've seen on GWs doing all kinds of gyrations looks a bit too disco to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Dave's remark about the disco GWs hit home, so I went with the inexpensive (cheap) flasher for the luggage rack. What was supposed to be a 15 minute install took a lot longer due to a bad crimp in the new quicks disonnects. I spent more time with a meter finding debugging the internitent failure than actually fixing it. Net -- it's done and now on to the next bucket list project.

Registered
I installed this with NO issues
I realize it's a matter of taste, but put me down in the column with the heading "Not for me!"

The 1/2 second of fast strobe I'm OK with, but I don't care for the slow flash after that. Looks too much like a hazard light. Imagine following you down a twisty road. Distracting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts