BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my brake and clutch fluids replaced in spring. The levers and pedals were nice and reactive when done. Recently pulled a front caliper to inspect the pads. Bike is a 2000 w/ mthe standard ABS.
Reinstalled the caliper and now the front lever needs a slight pump/prime to make it more re-active/firm. What gives?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The same thing has happened to me - '99 LT. I changed front and rear pads, put in speed bleeders and changed the fluid. The front brake is a little spongy. I took it for a test ride and it didn't really go away.

I'm going to try to tie the brake lever back while I'm at work and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bruce.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
grifscoots said:
I alway warn folks that their brakes will be almost non-existant after I change pads. But, it goes away very quickly on the first ride.
Reminds me of the time I changed pads in my garage which was located at the top of a sloped driveway. Can you imagine my surprise as I backed out of the garage and hit the brakes, only to find myself rocketing down the driveway backwards with no brakes and heading straight for my VW bus! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grifscoots said:
Have you ridden it or are you testing from a stand still? Usually, after a pad change or caliper pull you'll have some sponginess. If it keeps up after a minute of use when riding, I'd slap the mighty vac to them.
Grif, I was trying to avoid the bleed work myself. I have a Craftsman vac that operates the same way, but I could never get all the air out. The LT manual indicates that the ABS pump needs to be bled out as well. That is the reason I took the bike to a dealer and have them do it. This spongyness has only happened after I pulled the right caliper to inspect the pads. It's been like this for 1k miles.

Someone awhile back recommended a brake syringe that pushes fluid from the bleed screw up the entire lines thus pushing the air up to the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Power bleeder

grifscoots said:
I alway warn folks that their brakes will be almost non-existant after I change pads. But, it goes away very quickly on the first ride.

Get you a mighty vac, it will ensure that all the air is gone from the lines. Sandar the mag gave me one of those bleeders that hook up to the compressor last year. Man, how did I ever live without that one?
Grif,
We had one today for bleeding brakes.. brandyknew from H.F... and it blew apart. So, be careful when you run your, mk?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
Grif, I was trying to avoid the bleed work myself. I have a Craftsman vac that operates the same way, but I could never get all the air out. The LT manual indicates that the ABS pump needs to be bled out as well. That is the reason I took the bike to a dealer and have them do it. This spongyness has only happened after I pulled the right caliper to inspect the pads. It's been like this for 1k miles.

Someone awhile back recommended a brake syringe that pushes fluid from the bleed screw up the entire lines thus pushing the air up to the reservoir.
OK, try putting some teflon tape on your bleeder, the one that screws into the caliper. Unless you have a bad brake line, I just cain't wrap around why pulling a caliper would do this. None of the pucks popped out?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Used it the last tech session to bleed a clutch and worked fine. Sandy got it from Griot's Garage, but they prolly all come from the same manufacturer and are relabeled.

Hank's just smoothe quit and he got it off of a tool truck.

Man, that could be bad, exploding with DOT in it. Compressor set at high poundage?

cfell said:
Grif,
We had one today for bleeding brakes.. brandyknew from H.F... and it blew apart. So, be careful when you run your, mk?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I broke down and bought a MityVac at the auto parts store. Pulled the left tupperware to get at the ABS pump unit front bleed nipple. Can you say PITA...

Bled the front calipers and finished with the ABS nipple per the LT Service Manual. The ABS nipple sucked some outside air even after opened just a 1/4 turn. Bottom line is that it seemed to tighten the lever response during the test drive. After a 10 mile ride, I conclude it worked fairly well.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grifscoots said:
Kewl! But, what concerns me is how air got in it just pulling the caliper?
Good question. What I thought was interesting was that the fluid level was below the lowest mark inside the reservior. I'm wondering if maybe the dealer didn't bleed ALL the air while changing fluid and some air got trapped in the caliper or something. Then when I pulled it, the caliper let air back into the line. While apart, I checked for leaks on the entire brake route etc. Didn't find any.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts