BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new LT owner for about a month and a half. 2002 LT with 65K miles. Absolutely love the bike. (Still love the airheads, too!)

Anyway, noticed some drops of brake fluid on the garage floor underneath the rear brake foot lever. Traced the leak to the brake hose crimp just above where the brake hose enters the master cylinder. This brake hose is the one that connects to a brake line that then goes to the pressure modulator. So, definitely need a new hose. The master cylinder doesn't appear to have any leakage, so I won't replace it, unless I get some advice from the forum that at 65K miles it would be advisable to do so.

I have printed out and read several articles from the internet describing flushing the integral servo-assisted brake system, and I also have the BMW service manual with the integral servo brake section in it. I'm not afraid to dive into the work myself, but I do have a few of questions.

First, BMW brake hose versus Spiegler brake hose. I've generally been happy with the quality of parts for my airheads, and this control circuit doesn't carry more than normal brake line pressure. What I don't know is during the process of routine maintenance how often the footplate has to come off, which invariably results in some twisting, turning motion at the crimp where my hose is leaking. So, is a Spiegler line more "robust" at that crimp than the BMW line?

Second, it seems to me that replacing this brake hose will let air into the control circuit for the rear brake. Now I will have to bleed the rear brake control circuit (maybe the front too, but I'm not sure). The process seems pretty straightforward, but maybe I'm naive about the difficulty. Assuming I'm successful at the bleeding process, it appears I will have set some fault codes for the brake system. The service manual describes the dealer service called MoDiTeC. But, will a GS-911 read and clear the fault codes? I'd like to avoid going to a dealer if at all possible to perform this repair.

Thanks,
Ken Davis
Mobile, AL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ken,

I have only owned my 2003 K1200LT for a year but had the rear brake hose blow out. Based on suggestions from this forum I replaced the brake hose and all the others with the Spiegler hoses. I figured if one of the hoses went the others weren't too far behind and I had been dieing to get under the tupperware and explore the bike. When the rear hose failed I did end up with air in the system and had a fault indicated by the test lights on the dash. When I finished with bleeding the system the fault code was gone. The job isn't particularly difficult if you have some basic wrenching skills and tools it is just a particular process that you must follow accurately.

Good luck.

Staryn.

Reactions: Lt37r4

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock BMW hoses other than $$$. If one is leaking the others are not far behind and to replace them all with stock, well I never added it up but the Spieglers all together is much cheaper.

OK to purchase all the hoses from BMW is a grand total of $365.19 and that is just for the hoses - no hardware.

You will not set a fault in the ABS unless you don't get most of the air out. The integral system is self clearing of all faults once they are corrected. Bleeding is straight forward just follow the pattern in the manual.

The MoDiTeC check can also be done with a GS-911 unit and it is a test of pressures in the ABS unit which will tell you whether you have all the air out or not. It compares the input pressure transducer to the output pressure transducer.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You can take the old hose to a hydraulic shop and they can make you a new hose for a fraction of the OE cost. I recently replaced my rear caliper hose for about 40 bucks. The new one was tested to 3000 PSI. There is nothing special about the BMW hoses. They have standard fittings on the ends. Any auto parts store can tell you where to get one built.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just installed a full set of Speiglers today after having the rear hose fail on a recent trip to Canada. I have 2000 with 66 k on it. You will only need to bleed the rear circuit and the right side foot plate comes off every 12K miles as the gearbox fill port is behind it.

I've had Spieglers on a number of bikes and have never had a failure. Combine that with lower price for the set and increased performance (firmer handle and pedal) I didn't even consider going OEM.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
giarcg said:
I just installed a full set of Speiglers today after having the rear hose fail on a recent trip to Canada. I have 2000 with 66 k on it. You will only need to bleed the rear circuit and the right side foot plate comes off every 12K miles as the gearbox fill port is behind it.
Your bleed is a bit easier than his as he has the Integral brakes and yours was ABS II. No power assist.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 02 with 30K Miles has blown 2 hoses. i had them all replaced with Spieglers. best decision. better, firm braking and no thoughts of future brake line failures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts