BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced a failure Saturday on the front brakes of my 01 LT. It was the brake hose that goes from the front right caliper up about 6" to a T where the front left caliper hard line connects then up into the front suspension area another 12". It blew out just above where the rubber hose leaves the T block . I had been noticing the lever wasn't hard when I would first pull it, so I attempted to bleed any air out of the system and then noticed I was able to pull the lever all the way which I knew was wrong. Then all of a sudden I heard the hose go. Fortunately it happened in the driveway.

I have decided to go with SS Braided and replace all the hoses since they are all 7 years old as well as the clutch line. I found them (Spiegler) for a good price at Eurotechmotorsports.com. The front/rear hoses with crush washers $155 S-BM0140 (discount due to overstock), the clutch hose was regular price $67 S-BM0153.

My question is, I'm going to replace the clutch hose from the clutch lever to the clutch but I haven't so far been able to get the right spot open where the hose attaches to the clutch. What panel/parts do I need to remove to access this hose. anyone got pictures?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Remove the rear wheel and look over the top of the swing arm pivot. You will find the slave cylinder where the feed line from the grip and the bleed line that goes over to the right side crash bar attach. Not sure how easy it is to change the lines.Glad the brake line went in the driveway - Whew!

This link will give you a general idea where it is.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=23

·
Registered
8 Posts
i guess it would be better if you took see the mechanic and let him do the repair of your BMW brake hose. you have the same problem as with my brother and that's the only thing he did. he replaced the brake hose damage and other stuffs.

·
Registered
805 Posts
lavamanz said:
I have decided to go with SS Braided and replace all the hoses since they are all 7 years old as well as the clutch line. I found them (Spiegler) for a good price at Eurotechmotorsports.com. The front/rear hoses with crush washers $155 S-BM0140 (discount due to overstock), the clutch hose was regular price $67 S-BM0153.
My question is, I'm going to replace the clutch hose from the clutch lever to the clutch but I haven't so far been able to get the right spot open where the hose attaches to the clutch. What panel/parts do I need to remove to access this hose. anyone got pictures?
Cez's link above appears to go to a BMW car parts dealer. You will be fine with the Spiegler SS hoses for the brake lines. I didn't know that they make one for the clutch as well. Replacing the brake lines is tedious, but not all that difficult. Caution: since you have an '01, after replacing the lines you will have to bleed the brakes. I think that '01s came with the Partial Integral/ABS systems. I do not know if bleeding this brake system is as complex on an '01 as on an '05. Read the articles and threads related to bleeding the brakes before you jump in. As you will see from the link that John provided, the DOT4 brake fluid in the clutch system (yep, brake fluid in the hydraulic portion of the clutch system) activates a clutch slave cylinder when the left handgrip lever is pulled. That slave cylinder is pretty well buried, hemmed in by the horizontal pivot housing for the swing arm to the rear, the driveshaft/tranny connection housing to the right, etc. There are two banjo bolts for hydraulic lines on top of the slave cylinder; one for the line from the lever, the other for a line out to the right side of bike near the rear of the tip over crash bar for bleeding the clutch system. I don't know if you can get a wrench on the banjo bolts without removing the swing arm. I would not even try it because the bolts have to be torqued to spec when you put in new lines and I can't see how that would be possible with the swingarm in place. But maybe it is! Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts