BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I did the brake flush on my 04 LT tonight and it was going smoothly until the last step. When I tried flushing my front wheel brake lines the pump was running and sounding normal when I cracked open the front caliper bleeder. Very little (about two inches) of brake fluid came out and that was it?? The pump was still running, the funnel going into my front wheel resrvoir had plenty of fluid in it but it was not going down??

I continued trying to bleed the right and left front calipers and each time would get a few inches of fluid out of the nipple and that was it. After about ten cycles like this and virtualy no fluid being pumped from the reservoir/funnel the pump started to stop operating when the front brake lever was held at a certain spot. the spot was alwasy the same...about "mid stroke" on the lever where the pump kicks from low speed to high. It would only stop running at one spot...slightly more pressure on the lever would get the pump running again.

I continued to try and "flush" more fluid from the front calipers. Eventually I got to a point where the fluid flowed a little more and I could see the level in the funnel going down into the reservoir. I put new front pads in the calipers before "bleeding" them and the pistons were pushed all the way in. I dont think that would cause what i exerienced?? The flushing of the control circuits went smoothly..plenty of new fluid cycled through them and I am 100% sure no air got into the system. The pump sounds normal right now and does not have that "dead spot" in the front lever like I described above anymore. I am going to hopefully flushed some more fluid through the front brake lines/calipers tomorrow and test ride her very slowly at first and see what happens.

Any Ideas, thought, comments???? I have tinkered with many bikes...just not the LT so any "help" is appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Steve,
If you get an air lock when pouring fluid into the funnel, the reservoir will empty, but the level in the funnel will not drop. You clear the air lock by backing the funnel out until the seal is broken and the fluid starts to flow. Tighten the funnel again and you're good to go. This, however, doesn't explain why the fluid in the reservoir would not flow from the bleeders or why the pump would stop mid-squeeze.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will be along shortly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
dunno about the 04 but my 02 has 2 resivours together under the front on the rear seat and the rear one is for the front brakes

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,108 Posts
In addition to the funnel getting an air lock. If you run the fluid out then often you need to burp the line that goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the ABS unit. Some times that gets an air bubble in it.

When done right the fluid will flow like gang busters, with higher flow as you apply more lever pressure.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
May be clogged bleeder valves, pump starts the flow, something obstructs the bleeder exit, ABS pump senses pressure & shuts down until you squeeze the handle harder. If the bleeding has been neglected you may have disloged something when retracting the calipers to inset the new pads.
Try pulling the bleeder off and see if any rust, crap or solids come out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts