BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing the maintenance on my 2008 R1200RT. Got the Jim VonBader JVB R1200 Maintenance DVD (produced in 2007), ordered some Speed Bleeders for for the calipers and the special funnel from BMW Boneyard. All ready to go right?

Nope, took off the body panels and see that the ABS unit on my 2008 looks totally different from anything I'm seeing the the JVB R1200 DVD or any of the pictures in brake flush articles on this site or the BMW sport touring site. :confused:

I've attached two photos of what I'm looking at on my 2008 RT.

Has anyone done a brake flush at home on a 2008 (or later) R1200RT?

If so, how did you do it? In other words, what steps did you take?

Thanks in advance :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I just looked at my 2010 RT factory DVD. So, does your bike have a bleed nipple on the handlebar master cylinder? I bet it does.
Anyway it is way so simple, just like the old days. Remove via syringe most of the old fluid from your front brake reservoir. Refill with NEW fluid not from a half full container saved from last time. Bleed at that bleeder right on the front master cylinder until you get clean fluid. Now bleed the front calipers the same way. Start with the further one then the other. The rear is the same but there is no local bleed point just the caliper. Simple eh? Non of the servo foolishness. The normal caution do not let air get into the system from your reservoir getting too low. Bubbles in the ABS can be pesky.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Starting from june or july 2006, BMW dropped the servo brakes, the JVB info of 2007 is outdated.
As explained above, flushing is (again) straightforward :)
Gaby

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beech:

Thanks beech: you're right, my 2008 R1200Rt has the brake flush nipple on the front brake reservoir. I pulled up the BMW service manual on CD and it looks like the generation II ABS started with R1200RT's built after July 2006. My 2008 R1200RT definitely does not have the same ABS unit I'm seeing on the JVB R1200 maintenance video (I'm assuming that is the generation 1?).

So on the newer bikes you don't have to mess with the special funnel dingy. Uh, anyone in the market for a new, never used, special funnel dingy? :)

I'm going to replace the nipples on the calipers with Speed Bleeders which should make flushing the fluid an easy maintenance task. :bmw:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gaby:

You're right, the JVB R1200 Maintenance video is way outdated for the brake flush for R1200's after 2007. Hopefully, the next person planning to do the brake flush will see this post and not get confused from watching the video of flushing the older R1200's.

I'm also hoping the video is still accurate on the maintenance of the transmission fluid change, rear differential fluid change, and valve adjustment. If so, it is still a good video for doing your own maintenance on your R1200RT. :bmw:

I love this forum.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
westcott360 said:
Thanks Gaby:

You're right, the JVB R1200 Maintenance video is way outdated for the brake flush for R1200's after 2007. Hopefully, the next person planning to do the brake flush will see this post and not get confused from watching the video of flushing the older R1200's.

I'm also hoping the video is still accurate on the maintenance of the transmission fluid change, rear differential fluid change, and valve adjustment. If so, it is still a good video for doing your own maintenance on your R1200RT. :bmw:

I love this forum.
I believe he has updates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip, Ponch. I went to the web site at JVB Productions and Jim Von Baden has posted an excellent pictorial with explanations on brake flush for R1200RTs after 2007. Also there are updates on body panel removals and a couple of corrections on torque specs.

The JVB R1200 Maintenance DVD is very good and with the updates and additional information on the web site, you have everything you need for maintenance on a 2008 R1200RT. :) :bmw:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The amount of gear oil you put in the rear end has changed in the last couple of years so you need to check that too. It is no longer "fill till it starts leaking out" the filler hole, but something less than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts