BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 k1200LT with 13,000 miles it has been garage kept for a couple yrs because of an injury going to change oil and trans fluid did the 12,000 miles service cost a wooping $800.00 buck. should I have the brake fluid replace or is 13,000 miles not enought miles to replace fluid. want to get back on the horse soon....printman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes you should replace the brake fluid. You can do it yourself for under $10 for the fluid. There is a lot of very good resources on this site that will tell you how to do it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
With brake fluid, it's less about miles and more about time. It's hydroscopic (absorbs moisture) and should be replaced every two years.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Your brake system is the simple ABS system in that the fluid from each reservoir goes through the ABS unit out to calipers. So if you have ever flushed brakes on a car you can do this just as easily. I think you will find the fluid rather dark if it has not been changed in the last year or two.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Changing the fluid in your system is very easy, you just need the right things to help you in the process. I purchased Spiegler Speed Bleeders (SB1010S x 6 ea = 4 in front, 1 in rear, and 1 for clutch line) and a Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Kit from Harbor Freight. I also purchased some clear plastic tubing from Home Depot (about 3 feet) and cut it in half....fit it over the SB valves with vasoline or some grease around the outside edges (your choice...just make sure you clean it off really well after you're done) so air doesn't get sucked in around the sides between the tubing and the SB valve, turned the SB 1/4 turn, and started pumping and filling....DON'T allow the fluid get near the bottom of the reservoir and suck air into your lines.....you'll have to start all over if you do! I did mine (front & rear brakes and clutch) three weeks ago in less than an hour....the speed bleeders made it really easy. The longest part was taking the battery cover off the left side to access the rear master cylinder reservoir.

Turn on some of your favorite music in your man cave and enjoy the process! :bmw:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts