BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flushed the break fluid in my cages, both BMWs. Linked brakes, ABS. Was a very simple procedure. From all I have read on this site flushing the brakes on the 09 LT is a giant PITA. My question is why. What make the brake system on the bike so much different than the brake system on the cars. Both are linked, both are ABS.
On the cages I bought a power flusher, connected it to the master cylinder and cracked the bleeder at each caliper starting at the one furthest from the master cylinder.SIMPLE.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Suppose I am asking a question for which there is no answer.
It is that way because that is the way it was designed.
I just don't understand the difference between the systems, cage and the bike.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is it maybe because there are front and rear control circuits and front and rear brake caliper circuits, with no interconnection & that you have to feed and flush all of them? Don't all cars have just a single central reservoir?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I need to do my 2003 linked ABS brake bleed this winter too. I'm not afraid to admit that I am confused and scared S**tless about screwing it up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary, sure do wish you were closer. Mine doesn't need the flush yet but we could practice on yours. That way I would know how to do mine correctly when the time comes. :rotf:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
garyw said:
I just flushed the break fluid in my cages, both BMWs. Linked brakes, ABS. Was a very simple procedure. From all I have read on this site flushing the brakes on the 09 LT is a giant PITA. My question is why. What make the brake system on the bike so much different than the brake system on the cars. Both are linked, both are ABS.
On the cages I bought a power flusher, connected it to the master cylinder and cracked the bleeder at each caliper starting at the one furthest from the master cylinder.SIMPLE.
1- you need to remove the left tupperware
2- you should pull the caipers and press open putting wood in place to keep open
3- the little fluid resevoirs are in the abs controll unit and you need to use a fitted funnell to add fluid while you power purge the front the rear
Now to the control unit;
1- need to pull the right rear brake resiv. to a position to keep filled
2- need long small 7 mm combo wrench slightly modified by bending
3- need to purge six 7 mm bleeders on the abs control (for the front and rear) unit in proper order doing #1F & #1 R twice
Put it all backe together, not to hard but a bit of a PIA.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
garyw said:
below is why I feel it is a bit of a PIA (it's easier after the first time):
cover anything that may get dot 4 on it, particularly the winshield & little plastic air diverters
1- you need to remove the left tupperware
2- you should pull the calipers and press open putting wood in place to keep open
3- the little fluid resevoirs are in the abs control unit and you need to use a fitted funnel to add fluid while you power purge the front and the rear
Now to the control unit;
1- need to pull the right rear brake resiv. to a position to keep filled
2- need long small 7 mm combo wrench slightly modified by bending
3- need to purge six 7 mm bleeders on the abs control (for the front and rear) unit in proper order doing #1F & #1 R twice
hopefully you did not splash dot 4 on anything plastic or painted.
Put it all back together, not to hard but a bit of a PIA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts