BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok "amigos". what is the reason for brake fluid dripping on the left side of the front wheel?

i just walked out to the garage and spotted some fluid that obviously dripped when she was sitting there.

the last ride was on Saturday. didn't see any sign (but didn't look either). the shinny glare hit my eye today.

Damn, another brake issue.

she's an 02 LTE with 28K on her. broke a brake line a few months ago but that was fixed by a dealer.

damn

<insert>
forget the 2nd damn, i found two other instances where the symptoms were the same. both turned out to be OTHER than brake related.

Shock or dampener seems to make sense. i was in an area Saturday that had a few holes in the side road at my Gdaughters soccer game. i seem to remember (slowly) hitting one or two. that could 'splain it i suppose. will have to get out there tomorrow and do a closer visual.

assuming it is, what do i do about it? (i will look at my new Clymers but i could use some human-not paper-input.

thanks uno bunches
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
812 Posts
Might be a slider seal. Clymer will show you how to put in a new seal. 3 or 4 bucks, I think they are..

Reach up near the top of the slider( do both the right and left slider) and run your fingers on the back side. Check for oil running down the back side. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:rotf: let's see---the 3 amigos--vern,vern,vern. any relation? :rotf:

that's a good idea. will do tomorrow. i'm too fat to comfortably lay on the garage floor but i will 'check-it-out'. just glancing and touching the outside of the shock (you call it 'slider'?) i did not feel anything wet. but will do a thorough job tomorrow and let you know.

anyone else with any further thoughts? ;)

ok i looked. now i better understand the cost of labor on these machines. this is NOT something i can even consider. i don't know that i'd trust a non-BMW shop, either. so i now need to confirm the problem and take her to one of two shops in the area. well here goes 4-5 hours for 10 bucks of parts. arrrraaaagh :mad: :(
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,545 Posts
They are called sliders as they do not contribute to the damping of the suspension. Fluid leaking will not affect performance as it is merely in there as a lubricant. All shock function is done with the single shock on the telelever. But it is messy if you don't fix it.

But given one brake hose has gone the rest of them will follow shortly. Take another look but feel will tell you if it is brake fluid or ATF (oil for the sliders). Brake fluid does not feel very good or slippery like the ATF. Best to replace them all. Plenty of aftermarket options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, John. i appreciate it very much.

Too bad you're over in AL. ;)

funny it turns out you're also a ham. i was just thinking when i was younger, i probably could have and would have tackled this job. just like when i was more active and could fix problems with my radios. now, i just live with the problems :eek: .

i AM glad to hear that-if it IS the slider(s) then it's not performance serious. will know more tmw.

73's

I see you're just N of Huntsville. until recently, i worked for a company in Tullahoma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
mycamel said:
ok "amigos". what is the reason for brake fluid dripping on the left side of the front wheel?

i just walked out to the garage and spotted some fluid that obviously dripped when she was sitting there.

the last ride was on Saturday. didn't see any sign (but didn't look either). the shinny glare hit my eye today.

Damn, another brake issue.

she's an 02 LTE with 28K on her. broke a brake line a few months ago but that was fixed by a dealer.

damn

<insert>
forget the 2nd damn, i found two other instances where the symptoms were the same. both turned out to be OTHER than brake related.

Shock or dampener seems to make sense. i was in an area Saturday that had a few holes in the side road at my Gdaughters soccer game. i seem to remember (slowly) hitting one or two. that could 'splain it i suppose. will have to get out there tomorrow and do a closer visual.

assuming it is, what do i do about it? (i will look at my new Clymers but i could use some human-not paper-input.

thanks uno bunches
a friend of mine had his front brake line pop on his 2002 lt 8 hours after he rode the dragon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
last time I had brake fluid on my front tire, it was because the wife was trying to kill me


might want to check that
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,545 Posts
mycamel said:
Too bad you're over in AL. ;)

I see you're just N of Huntsville. until recently, i worked for a company in Tullahoma.
Roswell is not that far away - easy day drive!!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks John. if i had a trailer, it would be a no brainer. :( . i've been looking but haven't broken for the $'s.

well, i wiped everything down and was going to take her out today and return to see what symptoms i would see.

started her up.

The slow alternating reds tell the story. it seems that it's ABS/brake related-not sliders as we first suspected, i suppose.

so now the quandry. do i go to the dealer and have all new SS brake lines put in? i think someone said with the failure a couple of months ago, i can expect more. well, looks like more has struck with it's fanged teeth.

guess i call a dealer here and get her in. Dang/nab it. 70's today and this weekend :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
I had similar problem, turned out to be a leaking fork seal.. Relatively easy fix, took a couple of hours IIRC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I had similar problem, turned out to be a leaking fork seal.. Relatively easy fix, took a couple of hours IIRC.
I had a fork seal leak, but it was just noticeable on the fork tube...not enough fluid to cover what Mike's describing. Sure would be an easy fix it were the tube, but I suspect not. But, the fix at a shop is cheaper than payments on a different bike. FWIW, I've had unsatisfactory experiences at a couple different BMW dealers and their repairs...to the point where I'd consider a competent non-BMW dealer, or an offer of help from one of the guys here on the forum; many of the guys here have incredible knowledge about these machines. Saved my rear a few times.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many ham radio ops frequent this forum!
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,545 Posts
mycamel said:
The slow alternating reds tell the story. it seems that it's ABS/brake related-not sliders as we first suspected, i suppose.
A wig wag on an early bike just means the reservoirs are low on fluid and I mean low by less than an ounce. I would top off the two chambers in the rear reservoir and see if the wig wag goes away then check for the source of that leak.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
normally i'd agree. howsomeever, there was no reason for the reservoir to be low (front) and there was blood (read: fluid) on the wheel. i had a leak a few months ago and had to have several hoses replaced. so why not figure that's the problem again? and they'll be here tomorrow to load her up and take her to the dealer. i've been told good things about this dealer. Chris(blueknightga6) swears by them so i gotta go with his knowledge. we have another in the area where i had the work done before so i might as well test these guys out at Atlanta BMW in Marietta.

sigh. cost. sigh. shucks. oh well, bite the bullet. hope i can put brakes behind (and in front of course) of me.

hate to miss the next 2 days. in the 70's and sunny. maybe it's a premenition (sp?) and i need to listen. after all, at almost 70 and fat as a cat, anything can happen :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reid said:
I had a fork seal leak, but it was just noticeable on the fork tube...not enough fluid to cover what Mike's describing. Sure would be an easy fix it were the tube, but I suspect not. But, the fix at a shop is cheaper than payments on a different bike. FWIW, I've had unsatisfactory experiences at a couple different BMW dealers and their repairs...to the point where I'd consider a competent non-BMW dealer, or an offer of help from one of the guys here on the forum; many of the guys here have incredible knowledge about these machines. Saved my rear a few times.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many ham radio ops frequent this forum!
yes. i concur (and agree, too). i don't know anyone here locally qualified or knowlegeable enough to do it (but then i don't know too many anyway).

with a lot of hams, i gotta say---QSL! great to have them-lurkers and all. maybe i can mount my IC718 and auto tuner with a vertical on the bike. naw. too much work and then i'd be distracted and kill myself. naw. forget that one.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,545 Posts
A small amount of pad wear is sufficient for a pre-05 bike to start flashing a wigwag for low fluid. The reservoir will look full but once you put in a small amount the lights will stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
petevandyke said:
last time I had brake fluid on my front tire, it was because the wife was trying to kill me


might want to check that
would not have been. her birthday was the 16th. she'd want her 'gift' first. hmmmm did i ssay first? i better check in the AM to be sure my gun is where it's supposed to be.

sent her on to the local service department (the bike-not the wife) ......guess it could be the wife......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Another one (hoping not) Mike? I hope it's simple fix and not another leaker. I just looked through all the posts here Mike and see the Woolies came to pick her up. I think they'll treat you right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep. it appears so, Chris. Didnt want to bother you with this. decided to take your advice and have BMW/ATL take care of it this time. had her trailered (at Progressive's expense) and will discuss with them. they'll get to it next week. really missed Fri/Yesterday and today. never fails, eh what? :eek:

thanks for noting it. you should be out riding now!!! why you on da computer??

may have them replace all brake hoses with those SS you told me about. what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
mycamel said:
yep. it appears so, Chris. Didnt want to bother you with this. decided to take your advice and have BMW/ATL take care of it this time. had her trailered (at Progressive's expense) and will discuss with them. they'll get to it next week. really missed Fri/Yesterday and today. never fails, eh what? :eek:

thanks for noting it. you should be out riding now!!! why you on da computer??

may have them replace all brake hoses with those SS you told me about. what do you think?
I'm just now seeing these as I haven't been in much. Our beagle had spinal surgery on Wednesday so I've been playing nursemaid for her. I did get a short ride in yesterday. They'll probably recommend the Spiegler lines but if you decide to go OEM they won't fight you on it. I think the cost difference may not be that much if you replace all of them. Remember, Speigler only sells a complete set and BMW will sell the individual hoses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gosh i hope the surgery went well. hard to keep a good dog down :rotf:

yeah it's a bit overcast here so not so bad. we're headed out for a late lunch. Carol has to be on teh road all this week. bummer.

i remember about the lines. we'll see what they come up with in the way of recommendations. as a dealer i know they CANT recommend after market items but the SS make a lot of sense. as long as she's apart, and it's not TOO expensive, i say "do it to it".

will let you know!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top