BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike in for warranty work - replaced the clutch switch. Got to taking to the service advisor and told him while the plastic was off, to go ahead and do the yearly wheel circuit flush. He told me it would only cost another $40 to do the entire brake system. I figured it made sense to me.

He also said it would be safe to change over to synthetic oil at my next oil change, 1200 miles.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Good call - you can never have brake fluid that is too fresh!!! You don't indicate how many miles on the engine. I think mine is just now broken in at 20K+ and I qualify that in that I merely have to breathe on the starter and she's running. Before it always cranked a bit. I plan on synthetic on the 24K service.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The BMW maintenance instruction book states the brake fluid in the wheel circuit should be changed annually, the control circuit every two years. I had them both done at the 2 yr. period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
brake fluid flush at dealer

Not to break the thread, but when doing a complete brake fluid flush has any one switched to DOT 5 silicon brake and or clutch fluid. The U.S. Army Did or still does use it. Silicon does not absorb water so no rust or corrosion gets started. This should especially help the clutch slave.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Do not make the switch to DOT 5 as you must COMPLETELY remove all the old fluid and flush out the system. A lot of british car buffs have made the switch but only after replacing all the seals, cups and all rubber hoses. The fluids are not compatible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts