BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with a 99-00 model without Integral or servo brakes:

How does your front brake lever behave?
I installed Speiglers and have fully bled the entire system, including at the ABS pump (of which the necessity is debatable, but I did it anyway) so I am highly confident I've got all the air out.
When I pull the lever, it feels good and firm. But subsequent pulls will "pump up" such that after 4-5 pulls, the lever sits out further than the initial pull. It does not feel any more firm.

I am theorizing the flexure in the calipers and rotors can account for this pumping up. I've not rebuilt the calipers or master cylinder in the 10 years I've owned the bike. All I've done are pad replacement (EBCs a few thousand miles ago) and fluid flushes and now the new flex hoses.
Using Castrol DOT4.

Anyone else's bike behave like this?
Or should I just go back and bleed some more. :crybaby:
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Lot of years on the bike. Maybe the calipers and master cylinder could use a freshening.
32 72 7 658 464 SERVICE KIT, PISTON, ANODIZED - D=16MM (to 08/06) 0.03 1 $95.76
brake caliper:
34 11 7 721 664 SET: REPAIR BRAKE CALIPER - D=32/36MM (from 01/01) 0.25 1 $127.36
Both of these from the MAX parts fiche, which I thank them for.
BMW Motorcycle Parts | Catalog Parts Online | MAX BMW Motorcycles
Double check to be sure these are for your exact bike of course.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Give a check to your front wheel bearings. If worn, they might account for some of that flex.

Reactions: beech

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Try to tie the lever back a small amount (not fully) with a cable tie. Then rotate the handlebars so the brake side is up. Leave it like this over night and any small bubbles of air will find their way out.

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
187 Posts
Try to tie the lever back a small amount (not fully) with a cable tie. Then rotate the handlebars so the brake side is up. Leave it like this over night and any small bubbles of air will find their way out.
Does the reservoir cover stay in place for this little trick?

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Does the reservoir cover stay in place for this little trick?

Thanks
Yes it can stay in place as there is a rubber diaphragm to accommodate movement of air/fluid.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
For those with a 99-00 model without Integral or servo brakes:

How does your front brake lever behave?
I installed Speiglers and have fully bled the entire system, including at the ABS pump (of which the necessity is debatable, but I did it anyway) so I am highly confident I've got all the air out.
When I pull the lever, it feels good and firm. But subsequent pulls will "pump up" such that after 4-5 pulls, the lever sits out further than the initial pull. It does not feel any more firm.

I am theorizing the flexure in the calipers and rotors can account for this pumping up. I've not rebuilt the calipers or master cylinder in the 10 years I've owned the bike. All I've done are pad replacement (EBCs a few thousand miles ago) and fluid flushes and now the new flex hoses.
Using Castrol DOT4.

Anyone else's bike behave like this?
Or should I just go back and bleed some more. :crybaby:
Thanks!
My front brake bled pretty well after my Spieglers installation, but I had a similar issue with my rear brake. After several iterations of bleeding, I simply could not get the rear to feel firm or pass the bleed test.

So, I just gave up and rode it. After a few days the pedal firmed up and I repeated the bleed test and it passed. As long as the brakes work well enough to allow safe riding, I say ride it and see if use and vibration from the engine and road doesn't work out the trapped air. It worked for me for both my rear brake and clutch. Neither felt right after bleeding, but both corrected themselves with less than a week of riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts