BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm fairly new to K1200LT ownership. I live in the UK and own a Honda Blackbird, a Honda CBX1000 and a Honda Pan European 1100.
So, mainly Hondas.
My LT is a 2001 model with 25000 miles on it. When I bought it, the ABS light and brake failure lights where flashing alternatively. I was told that the battery on the bike was not the correct one and this was causing the lights to flash due to not enough power coming from the battery.
I have used the bike a few times to get to work, not yet changed the battery. The brake failure and ABS lights then began to flash very quickly and I lost servo assistance, making braking somewhat interesting, or non existant depending on how you look at it.
I pulled over, switched off, switched on again and had brakes again, though the brake warning lights where flashing very quickly.
I got it ome, turned it off and left it for a day or two. When I came to ride it again, I had the alternate abs and brake failure lights then after a few more miles I had the quick flashing abs and brake failure lights and no brakes again, until I switched off.
Help. I have no idea where to start, well the battery but then after that, I have no idea. Is this common?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Per the manual it indicates the brake fluid is low if it alternates once per second.
Flashing 4per second indicates the brake fluids is too low (they added too in there)

Look for leaks, check your pad wear. If that's good top off the fluid level, search for the procedure, mine is different then yours so I can't help there.
Might be a good time to do a fluid flush if that wasn't recently done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the rear fluid levels. Just below minimum so topped it up to where is should be. The brake lights went off and I had 55 care free miles ride into work. When I rode home, I got 10 miles before the lights started flashing at 4hz and I lost servo assistance again?

I can't understand whats going on

·
Registered
330 Posts
This may or may not be the problem but it took 2 1/2 years to learn that there were two reservoirs in the rear. I kept checking the one I could get to and added fluid. Lights quit flashing. Drove it for a while and they started up again. FINALLY...someone mentioned the second reservoir. I hope that's your issue because that's a "simple" fix. However.....mine was only the slower alternating flash....not the rapid flash like you described.

BTW....please don't drive if your brakes aren't actually working! Although mine were flashing, the brakes always worked well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The difference between slow and rapid flash is you won't have servo assist on the rapid alternating flash. The cause for both is low fluid level. check to see if the levels are still full, if not find the leak. If they are it could be an issue with the level sensor.
I'm not familiar with the fluid res on your bike but I do know there is plenty of information on this site with pics to guide you. Search brake fluid change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A second reservoir?

When I filled the reservoir there where 2 caps on it, I opened both and topped up both levels, this was the reservoir near the pannier on the right hand side, as you are sat on the bike.

Where is the second reservoir?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an 04 LT and your problem sounds VERY similar to what mine was doing. I'm not sure if your 01 has the integrated brakes like my 04 does but all I can say is brace yourself....lol. Sounds like a bad brake pump/modulator.

The dealer checked mine a year ago and said it was bad...."not building and/or holding pressure". After he told me the $$$$ I spent the last year "tinkering with and flushing it". No luck. I bit the bullet and bought a new one a few weeks ago. Hoping to install it this long holiday weekend.

Steve

·
Registered
498 Posts
loser said:
I have an 04 LT and your problem sounds VERY similar to what mine was doing. I'm not sure if your 01 has the integrated brakes like my 04 does but all I can say is brace yourself....lol. Sounds like a bad brake pump/modulator.

The dealer checked mine a year ago and said it was bad...."not building and/or holding pressure". After he told me the $$$$ I spent the last year "tinkering with and flushing it". No luck. I bit the bullet and bought a new one a few weeks ago. Hoping to install it this long holiday weekend.

Steve
I don't think he has integrated brakes. That changed in 03 or 04 if I'm not mistaken.

I do think you have air in the system, or a leak.

DON'T RIDE WITH A BRAKE PROBLEM.

Do get a Clymers manual, if you plan to do the work yourself. That is one of the best investments you can make.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
He has the servo assist brakes which are also known as the integrated system. The two reservoirs are under the side cover at the front of the right side bag. I have not heard of integrated brakes on a 2001 but if he has servos that's what he has described.

It is unlikely that your system is setting a fault from the wrong battery but I suppose it's possible. You REALLY need to get the correct battery in the bike and flush the system properly. This may or may not fix your problem but the sooner the better since your fault is intermittent. It will become permanent if it's from contaminated fluid and does not get addressed soon.

With the integrated brakes you can get killed from a system failure as the brakes fail almost completely depending on the fault code. The manual ABS (non-power assist) system is much safer in failure mode as it retains full normal brake function even when the ABS system does not function.

·
Registered
498 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
He has the servo assist brakes which are also known as the integrated system. The two reservoirs are under the side cover at the front of the right side bag. I have not heard of integrated brakes on a 2001 but if he has servos that's what he has described.

It is unlikely that your system is setting a fault from the wrong battery but I suppose it's possible. You REALLY need to get the correct battery in the bike and flush the system properly. This may or may not fix your problem but the sooner the better since your fault is intermittent. It will become permanent if it's from contaminated fluid and does not get addressed soon.

With the integrated brakes you can get killed from a system failure as the brakes fail almost completely depending on the fault code. The manual ABS (non-power assist) system is much safer in failure mode as it retains full normal brake function even when the ABS system does not function.
+1

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
All K1200LTs with a mfg date after 01/2001 were Integral brakes. There are some 2001 bikes that were made before this date and they have the ABS II system. They (up through 2004) all had a dual chambered reservoir in the back that feeds both the rear control and wheel circuit (front half) and the front wheel circuit only (rear half). The 05 and up had the reservoirs for the wheel circuits ON the ABS unit. These (two types of resevoirs) are the only ones that are monitored.

·
Registered
729 Posts
jzeiler said:
All K1200LTs with a mfg date after 01/2001 were Integral brakes. There are some 2001 bikes that were made before this date and they have the ABS II system. They (up through 2004) all had a dual chambered reservoir in the back that feeds both the rear control and wheel circuit (front half) and the front wheel circuit only (rear half). The 05 and up had the reservoirs for the wheel circuits ON the ABS unit. These are the only ones that are monitored.
BMW does not use a fluid level monitor below 05 on iABS???

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
New2rt said:
BMW does not use a fluid level monitor below 05 on iABS???

Thanks
I meant that the reservoirs I just described are the only ones monitored - hey I'm an Engineer and flunked English in my junior year of HS (that is how I met my wife, I was a SR in JR English class).

·
Registered
729 Posts
jzeiler said:
I meant that the reservoirs I just described are the only ones monitored - hey I'm an Engineer and flunked English in my junior year of HS (that is how I met my wife, I was a SR in JR English class).

OK, thanks, I didn't want to knowingly mislead myblackt5 so just checking.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
Sounds like he is on the right track as a weak battery combined with low fluid will do just about what he described. Battery first and then top off both chambers of the reservoir (almost over fill as they are very sensitive to the level).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
myblackt5 said:
A second reservoir?

When I filled the reservoir there where 2 caps on it, I opened both and topped up both levels, this was the reservoir near the pannier on the right hand side, as you are sat on the bike.

Where is the second reservoir?
Check the level in the reservoirs again and if they are low take a close look at the front portion of the rubber hose going into the rear caliper for a pin hole. It certainly sounds to me that you have a leak. (There is a rather sharp bend in the hose there.)

Ron

·
Registered
100 Posts
On my 02, with Integral brakes there are actually 3 fluid reservoirs. The 2 in the rear as mentioned here, and the right handlebar mounted one. Have you checked the fluid level of the front one? If you have and all 3 are good, then I would hazard a guess that your modulator is going bad. ( I speak from experience. I had to replace mine at 23,000 miles) My bike sat a lot over the first 2 owners' lifetimes possibly causing the fluid to gum up the modulator in a bad way. I ended up finding a used pump for $750.00 and installed it. I flushed a large amount of NEW fluid through it. It has been working perfect since install a few months ago. I hope you don't need to replace yours , but you need to seriously consider it, since these 800lb bikes don't slow down too well with no power assist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have checked the fluid levels yesterday. They are all still full from when I topped them up. And a quick ride showed the brakes as performing correctly. No flashing lights etc. However, I managed 65 miles before it failed last time so I'm not going to ride it further. I was hoping for a fluid leak but it is all dry underneath and the fluid level hasn't dropped.
I am going to get a new battery this week.

I don't know when the fluid was last changed, I will get it done. Is there a set proceedure to changing the fliud. Silly question it may sound but my Blackbird has a very long and ordered process to bleeding the brakes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
myblackt5 said:
Is there a set proceedure to changing the fliud. Silly question it may sound but my Blackbird has a very long and ordered process to bleeding the brakes.
There was a great write up recently on this forum. Please use the search and it will give the excellent intructions on the complicated procedure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts