BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Had a strange issue yesterday. It was about 30 degrees when I started my 03 LTC up and rode off. Everything seemed fine but then I noticed that the brake failure light stayed on and the little triange / exclamation point light was blinking. The brakes were working fine. As soon as I could, I pulled over and rebooted (shut down and restarted the bike). The brake light went off as usual.

Any idea what causes this (cold brake fluid??)..

Anybody else have this before. This is the first time in around 15K.. Never seen it before and no indication of any problem before this. The whole ABS system was flushed less then 1K ago (or 2 months ago)..

Thanks..

·
Registered
699 Posts
More viscous fluid due to the lower temps maybe and/or low reservoir levels. I'd guess the latter. Where was the level in the reservoirs the last time you checked them?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That annoying brake light

McAllister said:
More viscous fluid due to the lower temps maybe and/or low reservoir levels. I'd guess the latter. Where was the level in the reservoirs the last time you checked them?

Same happend to me a few years ago during the winter. Solution, topped off the fluid reservoir!

No more stopping the bike and rebooting! :abduct:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I did a search (after I posted, duuuuuhhhhh).. And found stuff on it. I saw a diagram of the layout and realize that I have to get into look at the rear res.. I am not real mechanical, usually let me dealer do the stuff except oil change, tires.. How do I get to the res on an '03??

What do I have to disassemble???

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
rglassma said:
... How do I get to the res on an '03??

What do I have to disassemble???
You just can't beat searching the OLD archived forums. HERE'S a thread that may interest you.

All I remove to top-off the brake fluid is the rear seat. I also use an eye dropper, and fill it to the top. If the level falls just an ounce or two...flashing lights.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Besides the pics linked to below, be sure and check your rear brake pads for wear. As the pads wear, the fluid level drops, and the warning lights trigger. At 15K they're probably fine, but it's a simple thing to check and know for sure.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all, it was a cold morning this morning, and my wife and I figured we would tackle the job of inspecting the brake fluid level. We had to do the following:

1) Remove the seat
2) Remove the right footpeg chrome piece (most of the way)
3) Remove the side panel

We were then able to get to the rear resevoir. All sides were at MIN!!! That I don't understand because all the circuits were flushed by the dealer around 1K ago??? So, we filled them up and put it back together.

Thank you all for all your help, support and knowledge. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

I love this place.

·
Registered
699 Posts
rglassma said:
Thank you all for all your help, support and knowledge. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

I love this place.
Then how about working on your profile?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I filled out my profile when I first joined in April..

Is it possible that it was lost during the site conversion??

Well, it is done now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts