BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LTC and the brake failure lights are flashing. I have checked the brake fluid levels (front and rear) and topped up the front reservoir. I pulled the calipers on the front and the pads have lots of wear left. Any other things I can check before I make an appointment with the dealer?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The front is not monitored but here are two chambers in the rear with two fill caps and two sensors. Make sure you check both. If this is a wig wag type flash that is usually fluid levels.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^ What he said^^ There are two chambers in the rear bottle. The forward chamber cap is hidden from easy view by the tupperware and can fool ya. You pop 3 screws. Open the right side case to see two of the screws - trunk deck and rear tupper, and one screw about mid-driver seat joining the front and rear tupper, then you can pry the rear tupper away far enough to check and fill the forward chamber of the rear resevoir.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Nope. As I understand it, '99 to '01 have ABS II brakes and only have single reservior. '02 and up have the integral brakes and have dual reserviors.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Steve_R said:
Nope. As I understand it, '99 to '01 have ABS II brakes and only have single reservoir. '02 and up have the integral brakes and have dual reserviors.
That must change in later years as my 07 has on 1 reservoir. It did add some confusion on my part until someone chimed in and said it was not a duel on a 07. Not sure of the year change though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Steve's right, 2002 LT's have dual rear resevoir. Make sure both are filled to the MAX. line.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
LAF said:
That must change in later years as my 07 has on 1 reservoir. It did add some confusion on my part until someone chimed in and said it was not a duel on a 07. Not sure of the year change though.
The year change was 05 and up. There are still two monitored reservoirs its just that they are both ON the ABS unit now. The single rear just feeds the rear control circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
jzeiler said:
The year change was 05 and up. There are still two monitored reservoirs its just that they are both ON the ABS unit now. The single rear just feeds the rear control circuit.
Yea that is what I meant to say :eek:

Seriously it was a bit confusing in the beginning, but then reading the brake flush and bleeding procedures I saw that the ABS unit has two reservoirs on it so that did clear up the confusion, and of course the people on this forum pointed me to correct information.

While I like the ABS I could do without the linked and probably the ABS for what it means on maintenance procedures. I will have to call out for a Tech Session on that adventure.

As I said in the beginning of ownership on fluid inspections, I was trying to find that second cap on the rear reservoir. :histerica

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
LAF said:
While I like the ABS I could do without the linked and probably the ABS for what it means on maintenance procedures.
If you haven't had to use the ABS yet, then be thankful. The first time you use them and they save your bacon, you'll be glad you had them. DAMHIK. :eek:

And one more thing, if you've never gone to some parking lot and tried a panic stop making the ABS, IMHO you need to. Otherwise you'll be in for a real suprise in an actual situation.

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
One Missed Reservoir

Hi Dave,
I think you may have missed the other reservoir. It's quite hard to see and is a bit of a pain to get at.
I had the identical problem you're talking about (flashing brake failure lights -- wig wag style) and that's what it was. A very easy fix ....
Good day to have a look at it too. See it's above 0 degrees there today. Enjoy!
Keir

djbroughton said:
I have a 2002 LTC and the brake failure lights are flashing. I have checked the brake fluid levels (front and rear) and topped up the front reservoir. I pulled the calipers on the front and the pads have lots of wear left. Any other things I can check before I make an appointment with the dealer?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Failure lights flashing

I pulled the side cover off the bike and sure enough, the front of the two rear reservoir compartments was right on the "min" mark. I topped it up and the lights stopped flashing! Now, just to take it for a test ride. Nice dry roads for January in Calgary and +5 degrees right now.

I find it really strange that the service manual talks about checking brake fluid levels but nothing about the front reservoir and no sight glass on the bike to even indicate there is a second reservoir.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Steve_R said:
If you haven't had to use the ABS yet, then be thankful. The first time you use them and they save your bacon, you'll be glad you had them. DAMHIK. :eek:

And one more thing, if you've never gone to some parking lot and tried a panic stop making the ABS, IMHO you need to. Otherwise you'll be in for a real suprise in an actual situation.
I have used the ABS and while I appreciate it, I could live without it. I especially can do without the linked system.

ABS does not make up for good riding practices, watching the road, and keeping correct distances, and riding within your limits and the conditions you are in.

Not going to disable it, even if I could, but it is not what sold me on the bike.

It is a nice feature on the bike as it is in cars but it will not make you invincible, and nothing will make you a better rider except experience.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Does everything work? If the cruise or the speedo are acting up, check the rear abs sensor. I have a 02 that had the same trouble. BMW put the wire ties on too tight and it breaks the wire under the wire casing. Its right where the wire goes up from the swingarm under the seat.
They changed it twice and the last time I clipped the wire ties off at that point and then no trouble the last 80000 miles.

Zeke

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm sorry if I assumed too much. You are absolutely correct in everything you said, but if you need them you got them. I won't have another bike without them. In Atlanta, even doing everything correctly they've saved my bacon at least once a month. BTW, I'm an everyday rider and should be going to my every other year rider course this year.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
No worries.

When I got my first car with ABS and Traction Control I really had a blast on dry and in snow, playing with each.

The second day I had the LT I tried the ABS in a panic stop to see if the sensation and the action were close to what I thought they would be.

One concern is in cornering if I applied front brake at what point does the linked kick in and apply rear which I really don't want. And what happens when my rear wheel skips and is not in contact with the ground?

I unfortunately am stuck doing a lot of slab to get places these days as they are the first to clear after snow and cant trust my "normal" twisties because of frozen run off and shade/sun issues. So I have not had to deal with insane drivers too much. Or getting cocky and over running my favorite roads.

I don't hate them, I just don't ever lull myself into sleep by thinking something other then my common sense, can keep me alive better.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
And you've got the other problem I don't have, linked brakes. My last bike was a '00 and the new is '01, so I don't have the linked issue.

Ride safe and who knows, maybe we'll meet down the road somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Steve_R said:
And you've got the other problem I don't have, linked brakes. My last bike was a '00 and the new is '01, so I don't have the linked issue.

Ride safe and who knows, maybe we'll meet down the road somewhere.
That would be great and my privilege for sure.

And I really like you avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts