BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Brake failure light

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 · (Edited)
I had the slow alternating brake failure light come on a few days ago. It started out slow and then became rapid. I did get the bake fluid and toped off both reservoirs. Now the warning light stays on and the brake failure light is blinking. I did disconnect the battery to see if it would reset things and that did not work. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
gglove, do you hear the abs pump when you pull the hand lever and do you hear the pump when you press the rear brake? Have you checked that all the switches are clicking? See other abs thread for more info...

#4 ·
Kim I do hear the pump when I pull the hand trigger and rear when the bike is off. When the bike is running the rear I hear the front not sure but don't think so. I hear the front switch and the rear switch.
What other threads are you referring to?

Thanks Patrick

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Also this system is self canceling on faults, in other words once you fix the issue the lights will go away. No reset necessary.

But a steady light on with the other flashing means bad stuff and the only way to tell what it is is the dealers computer or some one with a GS-911 unit to read the fault codes.

#8 ·
Update

I did flush the brake system today and the problem remains. Both the front and rear brake switches seem to be working, I hear the clicks when I squeeze and depress them. The pumps activate when the brake are applied when the bike is not running and the key is turned to the on position. I am not sure if the pumps are activating when the bike is running.

Any other thoughts?
Is there anyone in the Charleston / Mount Pleasant area of South Carolina that has a scan tool that I could check the codes or has knowledge and skill that could help me out?

Thanks

#9 ·
Just to be sure, the lights are flashing as you are riding the bike and the rolling check is completed? They always flash until you start rolling.

The pumps pushed the fluid through both front and rear?

What does the chart tell you is the issue from the flashing pattern?

#11 ·
Were you able to pump fluid from both the front and rear wheel circuits? If so that means your pump motors are OK so the fault may in the pressure sensing circuits. Really need the fault codes to help further.

#12 ·
John
I was able to pump fluid through both front and rear circuits. I followed the procedure video I found on Illinois BMW Riders site.
I am trying to find a scan tool locally and or will have to find a way to get it to the dealer for a scan, hoping to avoid that :surprise:

#13 ·
Guys, (2004 Integrated ABS)

Back in April, as part of major maintenance I installed Spieglers, replaced all fluids and bleeding went fine. No lights. Everything worked fine. Brakes worked great after riding a bit. At that time I noticed uneven brake pad wear on front left caliper.

Two weeks ago I rebuilt left front caliper and replaced all front and rear brake pads(Carbone Lorraine). Today I bled the left front system and it went fine. Brakes feel very strong at the handle and foot when running.

Took off for a ride and have the ABS and triangle lights are alternating flashing. Brakes are working very well. The lights will flash alternately while idling in the garage as well.

Fluid in front reservoir is fine.

I've seen the chart. With key off, brakes feel okay - not as tight as when running. With key on, both levers operate the servo I can hear the clicks and the servo runs momentarily for each.

I disconnected the battery for bit. No improvement.

Thoughts?

#14 ·
If you have alternating flash the reservoir(s) are low on fluid. It may appear full but add anyway. Reservoir that is monitored is the two chambered unit under the pillion seat. It has two caps and two chambers add to both. There sensors are very sensitive to fluid level.

Attachments

#15 ·

John, thanks AGAIN! That was the problem. For some reason the rear most of the rear chambers was all but dry. Did that drain while I was bleeding that front caliper, ie does that chamber feed into the ABS unit?

Otherwise, I'm a little concerned how that could be dry. This bike doesn't leak a drop of any fluid anywhere.

#16 ·
Yes the rear chamber is for the front wheel circuit (calipers) while the front chamber is shared with the rear wheel and control circuits. Of course the front handle bar reservoir is for the front control circuit. 4 separate circuits.

#19 ·
I hope it is ok to piggy back on this thread since I have a similar issue.
I had not had any issues with the brakes until I changed front brake pads. I had the front wheel off to get a new tire and noticed that the pads were pretty thin so I replaced them.
The only thing I did with the brakes was push the pistons back in to fit the new pads. It did overflow the reservoir a bit.
When I went to ride it went through the test and did the slow blinking. As I drive off, all the lights go off then in about 1/4 mile I get the slow brake failure light with the steady general warning (one or both ABS not working) but I still have powered braking. I hear the servo with front or rear brake.

I have ordered a GS-911 but any ideas to what could have happened? I had flushed the system last October so it was coming due but the fluids were still good looking.
When I flushed the system last October I did get some discolored bits in the old dark fluid but it was not hard. One thought is that when I pushed the caliper pistons back in I could have pushed some kind of debris back. Though I had run more than a quart of brake fluid through the system.
Without looking up the light sequence, I assumed it was low reservoir. I didn't look further into it because I had new steel braided lines coming to install.
I installed the new lines and after bleeding the system took it for a ride and the same issue. Passed the test at start and the roll away then 1/4 mile and slow brake failure with steady general warning.
My GS-911 is expected Friday but was interested in thoughts of what could have happened with just changing brake pads.
The bike is a 2002 with the I ABS.

#20 ·
13AUG19 2007 K1200lt ABS III

Hopefully this information will help other riders with ABS III problems.

In May my rear brake servo stopped working. I found the information on this site for the company that rebuilds them and have been on the list since May. I spent hours trying to find just the servo motors to no avail. Then yesterday after more hours of searching I found this wed site. (In Germany)

kfm-motorraeder.de

BMW part# 34517685788 for 2007 K1200lt

$1598.89 EUR or $1780.96 USD including shipping (DHL).
This is OEM part not rebuilt.

I ordered one and should be here 7 to10 days. I will post more once I receive mine and install.

#21 ·
This part number above is correct (34517685788) for 2005-2009 models ..AND.. the price given would be roughly 64% of US retail price for the same new part (shipping included). Assuming a brand new ABS modulator, it looks like a good deal. I have heard of these guys in Europe, but I have never ordered from them.

Found this page on their web site fro K1200lT (2005-2009) ABS modulator:
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=34517685788

Let us know how this turns out... altough I doubt they have many in stock at that price ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.