BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2013 RT with 19k miles. It’s got a bit of clatter at idle but is running smooth through the RPM range. One thing that I’m curious about is the red “BRAKE FAILURE” light that goes on when I first start and idle. Is that normal? It doesn’t seem like it should be, but the sales guy gave me the, “oh, that’s normal and it goes away as soon as you’re moving.” Sure enough, it goes off as soon as I’m underway.
Everything on it works, otherwise. I’m not impressed with Garmin IV so far. The newest bike I’ve owned was a 2002, IIRC, so I have a lot of catching up to do and I’m not even in this decade.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Your sales guy was correct, the bike has to move a certain number of meters before the ABS failure lamp goes out. Garmin IV is two generations old. Much like many BMW riders. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha - thank you Beech. I had an old Garmin I carried around in the early 2000s for work travel, and it reminds me a lot of that.

I have some other "theory of operation" questions that I'll go digging for before asking. I don't have an owner's or service manual, so there's a lot about the GPS & audio system that I don't get yet. I've never had bike-mounted audio or GPS. Or a top box, a full fairing, a fuel meter, or heated anything. It's like Christmas morning over here.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like that "Brake Failure" light. Before I bought my 2012 RT a guy travelled from Glasgow to Essex (UK), about 400 miles, to look at it and wouldn't buy it because of that light. I turned up a few days later and got a four year old immaculate low mileage (4000 miles) bike. I'd done my homework. It's not immaculate anymore but then it has done over 100,000 miles now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts