BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brake clutch and tranny fluid changes
Very costly to change per BMW’s maintenance schedule. Is its really necessary ?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
maybe not per their schedule but if you dont change out the brake fluid at least once a year you need to expect problems with your abs. That will wish you had at least gone to a local tech session and had it changed, or had your dealer do it. This I suppose depends on how many miles you ride a year, there are some on here who can and do ride year round.

·
Registered
493 Posts
sheldan2 said:
maybe not per their schedule but if you dont change out the brake fluid at least once a year you need to expect problems with your abs. That will wish you had at least gone to a local tech session and had it changed, or had your dealer do it. This I suppose depends on how many miles you ride a year, there are some on here who can and do ride year round.
FYI - BMW put the brake fluid change recommendation out to every other year. As for whether it is necessary or not, I try to do as much as I can myself and make it as economical as I can but I don't second guess the service recommendations.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
BMW did alter the interval but only for those models that now have stainless steel lines the rubber line bikes are still on the annual wheel circuit and 2 years on the control circuit. And yes, you need to do it as the parts cost alone on the ABS unit is $1,700 not counting labor. Clutch is every 2 years.

Tranny change should not be that expensive. Less than 1 hour of labor.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ltlfeat said:
Brake clutch and tranny fluid changes
Very costly to change per BMW’s maintenance schedule. Is its really necessary ?
Oil, Tranny, Rear End are rather simple. I am having the dealer do the brake fluid (and clutch while in there) because they have the proper flushing and ABS test equipment especially while it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have my brake/clutch fluid changed by the dealer every other year. Oil and tranny every 6K, once I hit 6K. Much more often before that.

When I owned Jap bikes, I changed ALL of my fluids a LOT more often because it was so darn easy. Oh, the good old days. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
According the to service manager at BMW of Denver, the intervals for brake fluid change was increased to 4 years, yes 4 years. Not 2 and not 1 year.

Not coming from me..

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Like I said earlier, if you want to follow the "bmw scehdule", go for it. I enjoy peace of mind with fresh fluid at least once a year. For $5 a bottle it is a cheap piece of mind. I do change the brake and clutch fluid, I suppose if I had to have the dealer do it then I might very well follow their schedule.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
rglassma said:
According the to service manager at BMW of Denver, the intervals for brake fluid change was increased to 4 years, yes 4 years. Not 2 and not 1 year.

Not coming from me..
That is true for the newer models as they have stainless steel (teflon inner) as opposed to the older rubber hoses in our LTs. He needs to go back and re-read the bulletin. Look at your fluid in the wheel circuit after one year and you will be convinced it needed changing. It will almost be black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts