BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend the wife and I were out for a ride on our 2006 K1200 LT. 11,500 miles on the clock. I noticed that when the brakes were applied they would squeal or squeak. Obviously I thought it was from the rotors and pads. Only problem with that is that it made the same sounds sitting perfectly still while the brakes are applied in gear or in neutral. :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
What you are hearing is the servo motors in the ABS unit. It is more of a whine that is dependant on how hard you apply the brakes. The system is power assisted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it something I need to worry about? In the 3,500 miles I have ridden this bike it has not done this until this weekend.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
If it is not the normal whine you hear momentarily when the key is first turned on and when holding the brakes with the engine off then I am not sure what sound you are hearing. Anywa to record it and post?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to record it on my iPhone and download it. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried video and two recordings and this system will not accept the format. The squealing sounds more like a bell. Now the more I try to recreate the sounds it has almost dissipated.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Like a cow bell?

Have you checked your rear rotor? It floats, and sometimes floats loose enough to make that sound. Maybe you hear it vibrating?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very much like a cow bell. High pitch though. It happens sitting still with the brake or brakes applied. I am going to saddle up here in a few minutes and see if I can duplicate the sounds I heard this past weekend. I'll be taking a trip to Pigeon Forge in a couple of weeks. 500 miles one way. Don't want to take a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I re-read the thread and realize I made an error... must have missed the part about rear brake being applied... The rear rotor cowbell sound would not appear under those circumstances as far as I know. Sorry for any confusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts