BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does a K1200LTC,03 have inspection caps on their brakes? Just got home,had new tiers but on and looked at them,no caps,also red dots not by stem,s(shouldn't they be by the stems to be balanced?)All there is were the caps could be is metal clip!Could this be right? (I feel stupid for asking) :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
By metal clips, do you mean on the back sides of the calipers? These are the anti-rattle springs. To inspect the pads remove the two small screws holding this spring and under there is a central pin held by a sping clip. Pull the clip and pin and the pads can be removed for inspection. re- install in reverse order.

The little red dot should go to the "heavy" spot on the rim which often is NOT at the valve stem. On my front it is 4" away from the stem and on the rear 2" away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info I didn,t notice if the clips were like the ones that were no my 94K1100RS but now I see clearly(no plastic tops) ,and will take note on the little dots!& were they rest.Really like the Melz880,s got almost 15,000 miles on the last set Theirs just nothing like the ride a new set of tiers can give you :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
this is the second time I have seen someones misconceptions about the placement of the dot in the past 2 days. I just want to echo what he said. Dot goes to the Heavy spot of the rim...its not uncommon for it not to be the valve stem. Mine is about 6 inches from valve stem.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Brake Inspection

Just had to replace rear rotor and pads due to brake wear. If I would have inspected them at last service I would have caught it. Currently at just under 30k mi. Checked the front and they are still at 45-50%. Went with EBC rotor and pads. Bought the front pads just in case. Great people at www.cyclebrakes.com. Will use these guys again. Check those brakes!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts