BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m in need of the ABS brake servo bleeding funnel like in the picture below. Is there anyone within the Edmonton Alberta Canada area that is willing to sell or rent to me. Or is there any other means of doing this operation. I’ve searched high and low for a plastic plug to drill out and attach my own funnel but the thread is unidentifiable so presume it’s a BMW propriety design. I’ve tried casting in wax to then use epoxy or JB weld to form my own but to no avail. The dealership price is $95 for a replacement vent system but that has to come out of Germany. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah go to Beemer Boneyard, that's where I got mine. I think the BMW price for one of those here in Australia was about $300.
Paid about $30 from Beemer.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m in need of the ABS brake servo bleeding funnel like in the picture below. Is there anyone within the Edmonton Alberta Canada area that is willing to sell or rent to me. Or is there any other means of doing this operation. I’ve searched high and low for a plastic plug to drill out and attach my own funnel but the thread is unidentifiable so presume it’s a BMW propriety design. I’ve tried casting in wax to then use epoxy or JB weld to form my own but to no avail. The dealership price is $95 for a replacement vent system but that has to come out of Germany. Thank you.
I thought about making my own also, but when I thought more about what it would take, mainly in time, the $30 at BBY seemed like a pretty good deal. I thought about using one of the existing caps to make a wax mold and then try to cast an epoxy plug I could drill out and affix to a funnel and then find the right size o-ring to seal it, but decided in the end to just buy the BBY funnel.

The BBY funnel has worked well. I did have a problem on my 07 where the funnel hit against the frame preventing the funnel from screwing in straight to the hold, so I cut the neck of the funnel and put in a pice of clear plastic so that the funnel can be off axis as it is screwed in. That works fine. I am not sure why I had a clearance issue when most others seem not to, but may just be a manufacturing tolerance issue. 2” of clear hose and a hacksaw fixes it quickly.

I found a similar issue with my EHCS. I never had issue with the rear oil filter cover bolt clearing the EHCS frame until after I did my clutch replacement. After that, I could no longer remove the rear screw. The issue had to be either damage to the frame from an impact or an assembly tolerance issue. I was pretty sure I had not hit the underside enough to bend the frame, so I jacked up the bike and removed all of the EHCS mounting bolts. I then held a lever in place to hold the EHCS to the rear as I replaced the mounting bolts. Presto! Problem solved. I suspect there is at least a millimeter or two of play between the mounting bolts an the holes so it matters which side the bolt is against when tightened. And I now know why some owners complain about that rear bolt when I had never had trouble with it. They simply got LTs that were assembled with the tolerance a shifted compared to mine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions for BBY but with the exchange rate and shipping costs and the current wait time for delivery out of the USA (Approx 3 weeks) to Canada isn’t a viable option. Please anyone else chime in and offer up some gems of advise other than what has already been given. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions for BBY but with the exchange rate and shipping costs and the current wait time for delivery out of the USA (Approx 3 weeks) to Canada isn’t a viable option. Please anyone else chime in and offer up some gems of advise other than what has already been given. Thank you.
I am Located near Montreal (Quebec) and I have a spare one from BBY that has been used only once (because I had made my own before receiving the BBY one). HOWEVER, given current COVID situation, the shipping time is a LARGE UNKNOWN.

I see you are located in Canada (like me). For the moment Canada-Post cannot ganrantee any delivery time even when you pay for extra (like 2 or 3 days service). Even FEDEX and UPS has fallen back to similar policy recently.

So you would have to pay up front using PAYPAL, and I still would NOT be able to garantee when you will get it - neither could I refund you unless I win my argument with the carrier after several weeks. The reason for all these warnings, is caused by a recent experience shipping a BMW part to a forum member near Portland (USA). The Canada-Post service I had selected (10 days) became 6 weeks before he got it. Fortunatly we had both agree up front that he was not in hurry as he was waiting fro his ABS modulator repair that may happen only next year.

We both can hope that Canada-to-Canada shipping MAY BE BETTER than from USA. BUT... this is just a BIG GUESS ;-)
Given all these warnings, send me a private email here on forum if you want to go ahead - price would be $CA$ 65 including shipping to ALBERTA (basically BBY price * 1.3 exchange rate PLUS shipping)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks M8, I’ll give you’re offer serious consideration. My wife works for Canada post and she’s telling me even mail in Canada is slower than molasses on a cold day currently. Even from Calgary to Edmonton a mere 260klm is taking over 5 days with express. The UK guarantees the full length of the country in 24 hours. Total poop show. Will be in touch. Thanks again brother, just want to get this bike on the road before the snow flies again.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Thanks M8, I’ll give you’re offer serious consideration. My wife works for Canada post and she’s telling me even mail in Canada is slower than molasses on a cold day currently. Even from Calgary to Edmonton a mere 260klm is taking over 5 days with express. The UK guarantees the full length of the country in 24 hours. Total poop show. Will be in touch. Thanks again brother, just want to get this bike on the road before the snow flies again.
I don’t think the funnel is absolutely a necessity, you could fill the reservoir, hit the pump for a second or two, refill the reservoir, and repeat. I am not sure how long it takes the pump to empty the reservoir and introduce air, but you should be able to look in the reservoir with a flashlight and activate the pump and see how fast the level drops.

The funnel makes things much faster, especially working solo, as you can put a fair bit of fluid in and see it go down so as to be sure you don’t run the reservoir empty and make a flush into a full bleed event. However, I would think the reservoir would take at least a couple of seconds to empty completely so you should be able to flush in short bursts. It will just length the job. Now if you have a helper with a syringe or turkey baster of fresh fluid they probably could watch the reservoir and nearly keep up with the pump.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
It just occurred to me how you might be able to make one. This is just off the top of my head...

Head down you your local home beer and wine making store and buy a drilled rubber tapered stopper - I would expect a #2 or #3 would be right. #2 fits a wine bottle. Hardware stores make have them too.

The hole is 3/8" If you can find a funnel that would fit into the hole or fit a piece of 3/8 rigid tubing and attach a funnel to that with 3/8 flex tubing. The flex tubing will expand enough to make a tight seal on the funnels tapered output.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don’t think the funnel is absolutely a necessity, you could fill the reservoir, hit the pump for a second or two, refill the reservoir, and repeat. I am not sure how long it takes the pump to empty the reservoir and introduce air, but you should be able to look in the reservoir with a flashlight and activate the pump and see how fast the level drops.

The funnel makes things much faster, especially working solo, as you can put a fair bit of fluid in and see it go down so as to be sure you don’t run the reservoir empty and make a flush into a full bleed event. However, I would think the reservoir would take at least a couple of seconds to empty completely so you should be able to flush in short bursts. It will just length the job. Now if you have a helper with a syringe or turkey baster of fresh fluid they probably could watch the reservoir and nearly keep up with the pump.
You are correct that the funnel is NOT absolutely a necessity - but it makes the job faster , safer and easier. A long time ago I have done twice without a funnel. As you have posted, if you have a good helper AND a few simple tools (syringe , turkey baster), you will drastically reduce chance to run either reservoir dry.

Because he seem to insist on getting a funnel , I was just offering another way to get one... maybe faster than from USA.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m researching test tube stoppers and laboratory suppliers here now for the tapered rubber stoppers. The opening in the servo unit is 5/8” so I don’t think the wine bottle type stopper will work (To wide)

·
Premium Member
612 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it ain’t pretty but it works. All I need now is an o-ring for sealing. Made from a plasticine mould of original plug, 5 minute apoxy, a SS metal straw some clear tubing, locking wire and a cheap funnel and a few hours labour.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your input on this small project of mine. I had called around some wine making companies and for rubber stoppers with holes in there were only the large ones for 5 gallon carboys available. God bless you all and ride safe.

Attachments

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
$300 AUS to US is $207 dollars... Thats crazy talk for a plastic funnel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You gotta metal lathe? Remember the male thread lead (about 2 mm) only has to be approximate if it is short - like 1 or 2 threads. A rubber washer can make the seal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well it ain’t pretty but it works. All I need now is an o-ring for sealing. Made from a plasticine mould of original plug, 5 minute apoxy, a SS metal straw some clear tubing, locking wire and a cheap funnel and a few hours labour.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your input on this small project of mine. I had called around some wine making companies and for rubber stoppers with holes in there were only the large ones for 5 gallon carboys available. God bless you all and ride safe.
I think it looks beautiful! Love the ingenuity!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So, how did it work out?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, how did it work out?
I’ve only just finished bleeding the brakes this weekend as have been very busy with family. The funnel worked well thank you. However I will be buying the one for sale at BBY for the next time around. This one did leak a little around the o-ring sealing area but didn’t introduce air. I’m embarrassed to say that after the bike had been apart for so long putting her dress on seemed a harder task than I had thought. But she’s ready to go just need some fresh gogo juice and do a slow brake test to make sure all is well. Once again I wish to reiterate my thanks to all for their help and suggestions. God bless you all and stay safe.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve only just finished bleeding the brakes this weekend as have been very busy with family. The funnel worked well thank you. However I will be buying the one for sale at BBY for the next time around. This one did leak a little around the o-ring sealing area but didn’t introduce air. I’m embarrassed to say that after the bike had been apart for so long putting her dress on seemed a harder task than I had thought. But she’s ready to go just need some fresh gogo juice and do a slow brake test to make sure all is well. Once again I wish to reiterate my thanks to all for their help and suggestions. God bless you all and stay safe.
If you haven't already ordered from BBY, I have a new funnel from BBY that arrived cracked (shipping damage). BBY of course replaced it. I'm happy to pass it along to you if you want to make it work?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you haven't already ordered from BBY, I have a new funnel from BBY that arrived cracked (shipping damage). BBY of course replaced it. I'm happy to pass it along to you if you want to make it work?
Thank you for you’re offer. Quick question is are you in the USA or Canada? I ask because I have an offer to buy one from Sailor in Montreal Canada. Cheers 🍻

1 - 20 of 24 Posts