BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a question on how to to it! I've read enough here that I could swear DOT 4 fluid is in my veins!

I'll be replacing my front brake line due to a leak when the dealer receives it. I know I'll have to bleed the line when I install it. I might as well flush the system too with all the information I found here. It is overdue.

All of the the instructions say to turn the key to "ON" (duh) so the pumps will work. It is the integral ABS and NOT ABSII. Is there any harm in actually starting the engine during the procedure?

I also notice auto parts stores selling brake fluid that is labelled as "DOT 3/4". I thinking I should steer clear of that and going strictly with DOT 4.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
This is not a question on how to to it! I've read enough here that I could swear DOT 4 fluid is in my veins!
All of the the instructions say to turn the key to "ON" (duh) so the pumps will work. It is the integral ABS and NOT ABSII. Is there any harm in actually starting the engine during the procedure?

I also notice auto parts stores selling brake fluid that is labelled as "DOT 3/4". I thinking I should steer clear of that and going strictly with DOT 4.

Thanks!
Your signature says you have a 2002, so you should automatically have Integral-ABS.

1) When bleeding the CONTROL-Circuit (from handlebar or pedal to the ABS-Unit), the ignition should OFF.

2) When bleeding the WHEEL-Circuit (from Reservoir / ABS-Unit to the Calipers), the ignition should be ON. After Ignition ON, you should wait at least 6 to 8 seconds for the diagnostic to finish. IT IS USELESS to have the engine running at idle - it serves no purpose as far as the bleed job is concerned. BUT, if it takes you a long time to do both wheel-circuits (with ignition ON), you may need to recharge your battery after the job.

Never heard of brake fluid marked DOT 3/4 - not sure I would buy that...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should've asked if it would do any harm to run the engine while doing the wheel circuit. I just was concerned about my battery was all as my charger is Battery Tender Jr.. You confirmed by thoughts about this DOT 3/4 fluid though.

Yes, she's a 2002 with the servo assist integral brakes.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patric said:
I have used this stuff. It is marked Dot 3 & 4 . It is clear, I have use some Dot 4 stuff that was kind of yellow, it was harder to tell when the new fluid was coming out.

Valvoline® DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid

That's the stuff exactly! My Prestone DOT 4 has a slight yellow tint too.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4. That is what I have been using for the last 8 years.

I have never run the engine during a flush or bleed and have never run down a battery. You just don't have it on that long. And you are not running the servos at full pressure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
DOT 3 & DOT 4 are similar in composition, but with slightly different properties. Both are glycol based, but DOT 4 has added esters and will tolerate higher temperatures than DOT 3. Otherwise, they are basically the same.

The color seems to be a mystery. Some manufacturers sell breake fluid in two different colors, which would really help in flushing! Unfortunately, some states forbid the sale of anything but yellow ( including Florida, where I live).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.